El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after dealing with spongy brakes and reading all about it here on the forum I decided I needed to take some time and give my brakes a little attention on my '78. I have always done my brakes on my motorcycles with disc brakes so I thought maybe I could handle drums on the camino. As you all know this did not quite go according to plan, just like most projects and so for your enjoyment and entertainment I will expand on my Saturday morning/day/evening/night. Enjoy

11am- visit local auto store in search of new master cylinder, brake fluid, bleed kit, and confidence.
11:10- cylinder not in stock, will be delivered at 3pm, buy fluid, bleed kit, car wash(since this will be a quick project) and return home.
11:30- move car to center of garage, arrange tools, remove jack from cargo area "just in case", open hood.
3pm- back to auto store, inspect cylinder, purchase, small talk with cashier, leave.
3:15 visit grocery store for beer, buy a six pack still thinking "this will be a short project".
3:30 disconnect brakes lines from old cylinder, clean up drips, seal lines with latex caps to prevent leaks and dirt. Drain old cylinder. Open beer 1.
3:45- try to disconnect, boots rusted, smash knuckles into engine block after finally breaking the nut. Curse. wipe off blood. Finish beer 1. Remove second nut, delicately.
4:05- open beer 2. Remove old master cylinder, trash it.
4:15- begin bench bleed new master cyl.
4:35- knock over new master cylinder after being too aggressive with the plunging of cylinder end. Brake fluid everywhere. Curse. Clean. Beer 2. Start again.
5:00pm- check watch, "I should be done by now". Install new master cylinder. Door to door salesman walks up, startles me, curse, ignore, hide under hood. Wipe tools to avoid conversation. I need beer 3.
5:30- move to rear wheels to begin brake line flush. Where the heck is the bleeder? Check forum, they say it's there. Find it, right above axle, great.
6:00- jack up car- remove passenger rear wheel. Rig up brake catching fluid rig from deep socket, water bottle, electrical tape.
6:15- "helper" ( wife) leaves for dinner with friends. Solo job is probably better anyway.
Open bleeder, rig fails, brake fluid all over axle. Curse. Close bleeder. Beer 4. Try again.
6:40- attempt gravity bleed.
6:50- is gravity broken? Stare at bottle rig.
6:55- gravity works!
7:15- gravity bleed
7:30 gravity bleed
7:45 gravity bleed still. Seriously? Checks master cylinder, fluid is actually leaving, about as fast as trees grow.
8:20 bleed done. 1 wheel down, 3 to go. Beer 5.
8:25- replace wheel, bring car down, move jack, lift car up remove driver rear wheel
8:40- dinner, cold BBQ. Disappointing.
9:00- " helper " returns. Asks if I'm done. Obviously yes, this car only needed 3 wheels anyway.
9:05- helper agrees to work the brakes for remaining bleeds. Go over protocol 4 times. Beer 6. No more beers.
9:20- begin partner bleed, complete 3 cycles. Cycle 4, brake fluid sprays onto shirt, curse, cylinder blown, bad seal.
9:45- rush to auto parts store before close at 10pm, buy cylinder.
10:00- read forum on taking apart drum.
10:15 try to take apart drum. Succeed. Try to remove shoes. Fail.
10:30- try to remove shoes again. Fail. Wheres that beer? Gone. It's obvious I don't have the necessary tools or skill for this. Ponder trying anyway.
10:50- try to remove spring again, bend it. Curse. Pout. Wish I had a beer, 6 pack my butt.
11:00- quit. Hang head. Install wheel. Close garage.
Midnight- sleep

Sunday 10am- visit garage, stare at car, shake head, leave.
1pm- visit garage again, shake head, curse under breath, leave.

Monday- 8am- coax car to shop 1 mile away. Sigh before walking into office. Explain what happened and needs to be done.
2pm- phone call from shop- $500 bill- see new interior vanish before eyes. New cylinders, shoes, flush, and of course loads of labor.

These brakes better work darn good! A least I'll be safe now. Here is to the do-it yourselfers and failed projects.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Just caught this thread. Thanks texas78. I haven't laughed that hard since I changed my front drums to disc and added a power booster.
It took me a 12pack:nanawrench:

·
Registered
572 Posts
That was a great yarn,have you considered writing a book:You_Rock: I feel your pain though,i had a similar experience replacing axles in mine a while ago.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I want to make a T-shirt with this timeline on it. I don't think there is a man who has owned a classic who hasn't had a similar experience but I love how you detailed it

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Saw a pink t-shirt the other day that said "Don't laugh. This is your wifes shirt."

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i hoped i wasn't the only one who had a project crash and burn like that. stops great now though, no thanks to me.

i'd be down for a shirt too, either variety

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
my fav part was "is gravity broken?" I fell off chair laughing.

be glad the drums weren't rusted on, you'd have had to come up with another chapter.

:poke:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..well,heck,there your problem,not enough beer,next time those guys at the counter tells ya,"yeah,man,one six pack and your done"..Take that factor and multiply that by 5 and that how many six packs you really need..why 5.??..easy,four wheel cyl. and a master cyl. (one six-pak per wheel/master cyl. is the rule of thumb.):shock:
j/k
:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts