El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this email from my brother.

"lots of nice cars at canal street-several new ones including a nice Super Bee driven by a friend with a story to share.
The story is, he was driving his 40 something ford down the road, went to turn on the A/C and the car exploded and burned to the ground. He has lots of pics and the fire inspectors report which listed the cause of the fire as improper refrigerant. I guess most freon is now imported from China but instead of pure freon they're cutting it with butane, propane and lots of other bad things.

...the govt knows too."

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Many of the R12 replacements are mixtures of propane and butane, and thus, highly flammable. HC refrigerants are illegal in many states in the US and I personally don't use them.

While they work very well, there is a risk of fire or explosion.
The risk of underhood fires in a collision is about the same as with other flammable substances like gas,oil, ATF, and others.
The MAIN concern with these refrigerants is fire or explosion in the cabin. Unlike all other flammables in the vehicle, the refrigerant actually enters the cabin area via the evaporator.

A car catching fire fire due to an HC refrigerant leak can happen, just as it can happen with a fuel leak. I've seen many burned up vehicles, so this story isn't really as ominous as it sounds.
Like many stories circulated via email, I would take it with a grain of salt until I saw pictures or other verification.

·
Registered
555 Posts
WHO NEEDS A/C ???? We do !! It are HOT & HUMID down here! I was in San Fran.,in July & it was in the 40's,but not so here,maybe in Jan!
Just Joking, Chris..:smile3:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts