El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any differences in the size or mounting of the G-Body hoods for '78 to '87?

What is interchangeable between Monte, Malibu, and camino's for those years?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The elky hoods are the same. The monte won't fit without changing everything from the quarter panels forward. Not sure about the malibu.

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Locally there is a guy who has a cowl hood for a Malibu and I am trying to make sure it will fit on my '87 camijno.

Anyone know about the Malibu?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Malibu & Camino`s are the same,, I bought a goodmark 2 inch cowl from a member off a Malibu and it is going on my 80 Camino, go to Goodmark`s web site and compare the part #`s for Malibu & the El Camino`s,, If i remember right it is listed all under the same #,, Matty man

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Malibu & Camino`s are the same,, I bought a goodmark 2 inch cowl from a member off a Malibu and it is going on my 80 Camino, go to Goodmark`s web site and compare the part #`s for Malibu & the El Camino`s,, If i remember right it is listed all under the same #,, Matty man
X2

·
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought, that the Malibu and camino hoods for '78 to '87 are the same! :)

I recently saw an ad up on one of the local Craig's List sites that listed a camino hood from a '79 that the guy said would not fit his '86?

Any reason for this or the guy just not knowing what he was talking about?

Here is a link to the ad:

http://poconos.craigslist.org/pts/3055794637.html

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
He's a Yank, what do you expect?..:poke: heprolly couldn't get the latch to line up and thought it didn't fit. When I installed my cowl hood, that was the hardest thing I encountered. I had to move the reciever prolly 1 1/2 inches to make it latch. Once I figgerd that out, no problems.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
looks like a glass hood from the pics. some of the glass hoods fit really badly or not at all without a lot of work

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
He's a Yank, what do you expect?..:poke: heprolly couldn't get the latch to line up and thought it didn't fit. ...Once I figgerd that out, no problems.
JARHEAD -- I resemble that remark about being a "Yank"! Give me 50 push-ups or be restricted to base next weekend. You have to learn to become more tolerant of us up here in the snow belt.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well actually yes and no, but the real answer is NO they will not fit right! Ask me how I know this! The hood will bolt right up and close, but here is where the problem comes in... when I made my custom hood, I had my stock hood and a doner Elky that I was pulling parts off of. The doner car was an 80 and I cut that hood to fiber glass the hood scoop in but when we tack welded the scoop to the hood, put it on the car, and closed it. Then it was obvious that the body lines will not match up with the header panel. If you put a 84 elky hood on a 78-79 and close it then you will see they dont match up. I ran into this problem already but the body lines are only off by 1 or two inches. I am not sure on malibu or any other but I know for a fact that the hoods are different.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well actually yes and no, but the real answer is NO they will not fit right! Ask me how I know this! The hood will bolt right up and close, but here is where the problem comes in... when I made my custom hood, I had my stock hood and a doner Elky that I was pulling parts off of. The doner car was an 80 and I cut that hood to fiber glass the hood scoop in but when we tack welded the scoop to the hood, put it on the car, and closed it. Then it was obvious that the body lines will not match up with the header panel. If you put a 84 elky hood on a 78-79 and close it then you will see they dont match up. I ran into this problem already but the body lines are only off by 1 or two inches. I am not sure on malibu or any other but I know for a fact that the hoods are different.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/voicesinhead2003/Hoodexample.jpg
This is untrue. They are all the same, 78-87, you must have had a hood from another car.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
NPD catalogue # C-800-110A 78-87 Chevelle, El Camino, Malibu flat steel hood. Cowl hood is 111A with same fits.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the hood on my 87 Elky is a 78 Malibu 2 door hood

·
Registered
852 Posts
hoods and fenders are the same 78-87 on malibus, malibu wagons and elcaminos. if i remember right there was a difference in the windshield, i think the 4 door malibus and the wagons had a narrower windshield at the top.

doors were also the same 78-87 between the elkies and 2 door malibus, the only difference was the glass, and some were electric.

you can use the front clip off any g body on an elkie as long as youre using the 'doghouse' and doors.
i beleive all g body doors had the same curve to them at the back by the latch.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if the body lines dont match then you have a hood from some other g body. cutlass ,gran prix,bonneville,regal but the malibu and elco are the same from the windshield forward. my 86 elco has the front end from a 83 malibu 4 dr on it now.2 dr or 4 dr it makes no difference in the front end parts other than the early single headlight header panel . but the body lines still line up. the fenders are different only in the side marker light area but the body line still match

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Considering they built Elco's out of Malibu wagons.......almost all hoods that are listed are for both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts