El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking out the montecarloss.com website i ran across a thread about starting a monte carlo maganzine, which then changed into making a g-body magazine. The talk was about trying to gauge interest in the magazine, suggestions for content and tech articles. Thinking that this might be a decent idea i thought i'd maybe get some discussion going here about it and see what you guys think about, i figured we could share some of our great info we have here. Well anyway lets hear what you guys think. Here's the link to the thread on montecarloss.com if you want to check it out. Magazine Thread on montecarloss.com

Chris

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You know that the "G-Body" El Camino only covers about 4 years of the total El Camino population. More were "A" bodies than were "G" .

I'd like to see a magazine, any magazine, have a regular Elky section covering all years. I think because the El Camino is such a Hybred vehicle most people don't know where to put it. Back to that "Is it a Car or is it a Truck" thing.

But for now El Camino Central is the best thing going if you are an Elky owner. This is a good site with lots of really good information if you actually take time go through most of it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is kind of the dispute going on at their thread some want g-body some want only all year monte's, but seems to be leaning more toward g-body cars. Personally i think its a neat idea but i really don't see too much happening with it since all the info they get is already available on sites like ours and theirs and since it would be such a narrow audience it may have problems from that too. Pete i agree that this is the best site anywhere for elky owners like us, I seem to learn something new all the time on here and has been extremely helpful in the past as i'm sure it will be for many year to come.

·
1,867 Posts
I don't understand why something like that has to be printed & sent out. Start with a online mag & go from there. I would like to see this happen but I am not optimistic.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The best you could probably get is like the Nova or Chevelle mags that Super Chevy puts out. I think they are printed 4 times a year. Still would be nice to have a magazine to some of the R&D to upgrades instead of us.

Pete - I might be wrong but I thought the G-body designation was applied to the 78 model. If so then it would be 11 years and not 4, 78-88.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually 78-81 was still called an A-Body.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
A million+ El Caminos and GMCs produced during the full run. Even if we agree that only a third of that production are on the road, that's still a lot of possible interest.

I'd also like to see a magazine produced. I could even take one with Chevelles/Monte Carlos/El Caminos/Malibus, as long as there was a dedicated section to each model in each issue.

When I hit the LOTTO, I'll hire a staff to produce a bi-monthly magazine, even if it's a business loss. :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Granted that most of the elkys on the road are 5th gen and the same for montes, if you started a G-body magazine what about the buicks, cutlasses,etc. While there are things to be applied from all of them I'm sure the vast majority are chevys. Do you eliminate them? Stop and think guys. A magazine has to have a large and diverse audience to cater to or it goes down the tubes. Eliminate everybody and their cars and the best you end up with is Sup Che. Not enough following for that magazine if you took out camaros, vettes, novas, etc. I like the idea of the 5th gen magazine as not all of us can afford an old vette or 69 Z-28. If enough interest was shown in this one body style, no matter the make, wouldn't the parts suppliers have to sit up and take notice. Just my opinion, and that and a $1 will buy you a cup of coffee. Maybe not in yankee land. LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Look at how many years it took to see a Chevelle only magazine....see one lately? I'm not even sure they are still printing them. I seriously doubt you'll ever see a G-body mag. Sure would be nice to see a mag dedicated to all Chevelle based cars of all years 64-87, but the powers that be don't want to acknowledge any car past 1972. This fact has kept me out of most car clubs as I don't have an 'old' Elky.

The MCSS boys might get a site going for them, but I doubt they'd have much for anything before 1983 (the first G-bod MCSS). Kinda the same problem as the other guys except the years are different.

Funny that no one organization past the ECC will acknowledge any & all years of production of the given vehicle. That makes this place great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts