Gainesville Get-Together

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys & Gals
Hope everybody is well
With Covid still going on I'm checking to see if y'all still want me to setup the Gainesville Get-Together for this year ?
Here in my county (Alachua) we're still getting over a 100+ positive cases of covid a day !
I just got over it & it hit me hard, I'm going on 3 weeks & still weak from it.
So I need to know if y'all still want to have the Get-Together with covid still going on ?

Also with the Winghouse closing, Need to find another restaurant, Found 2 with outside eating.
one is Hooters & the other is Millers Ale House, We've have been to the old Ale House before but they didn't take care of Us like the should.
Here are the websites for y'all to check the menus

Hooters link > StackPath

Also there is a mask law here, that a mask must be worn indoors, must wear it into restaurant, then take off to eat & drink, then back on leaving.

Also I haven't checked with the Hotel about other events going on around Gainesville, So those dates might be limited because of Hotel Price ?

There is a few dates that is available to choose from because of the track racing times, April 24th May 8th & 29th
It says 10AM but don't know if that's gates open @ 10 or racing Starts @ 10 & gates open at 9 like it's been for years ?

Also about lunch, I was just thinking of bring your own or buy from the concession stand at the track, So people doesn't have to handle the utensils & condiments containers like when we do the BBQ ?
Tell us about your thoughts ?

So Please let me know if you want me to go ahead & setup the Get-Together ?
Please give me any thoughts you have ?

Reactions: JimTom

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I want to come but I won't know about dates yet. However April 4 is Easter so the 3rd might not be desireable.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to come but I won't know about dates yet. However April 4 is Easter so the 3rd might not be desireable.
Yeap can't do Easter ! Will take the third off !

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm down. May 29th would be my least busy weekend, but I could move things around to make the others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
April 24 sounds great for me. Actually, any date is good with me. I will be there..
R/T

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Any of the 3 dates will work for us , it should be safe outdoors in the open spaces . We can bring our own food & drinks to the track . Get well Steve , thinking of you .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ppl are sheep. A person might be very intelligent, but ppl in a group are sheep. It'll be a public venue, you'll by default attract crowds of ppl who just want to stop by and look, talk about the cars they owned, wish they had what we have and love. We could bring our own food (Hooters wouldn't be happy there) and drinks, wear masks, takes precautions, stay good distance from others, but the sheep... No, they'll want to look in the cars, touch them, oggle your sweet rides, and all it takes is 1 person with no mask, runny nose about to happen tomorrow.

I'd rather stay home, look at your rides in pictures, talk in forums and let Covid starve itself out of existence than run the very real possibility of inadvertently catching it and passing it on to my wife, kids, 84 year old mother-in-law with COPD. Or seeing one of you folks do the same.

Playing Russian Roulette, someone always looses eventually, and looses everything.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,730 Posts
Steve , As long as you feel up to doing the organizing with the track , I say yes . The VIP area you get for us is well away from the spectator area , food concession , the bleachers , totally open and under the pine trees . The May 29 th date I think is best as it does give a little more time to see how the covid situation is and by that time more people will have had their shots . April 18 is already scheduled for the fabulous Hot Wheels Show in Riviera Beach ( just south of Palm Beach ) , we enjoyed so much last year ( see current forum posted by Edonthebeach ) . The April 23 date is pretty close for me to drive up to Gainesville from the lower Fl. Keys and then up to Riviera Beach but I would do it . Steve , do you think that the Baymont Inn Gainesville is still available ? Get food at the track concession or you can bring your own lunch from a place like Publix . Certainly we should be cognizant of best health procedures and continuing what we are already doing . Either Hooters or the Ale House is ok with me and if we can park together outside like at the old Kerr`s Winghouse would be cool with me . Thanks for your efforts and what do you others think ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Which ever dates chosen will work for us. We have a box full of masks....................................

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm good with the dates and meeting places and I would be there if it wasn't for covid. Not that I want too but can not attend because of family health concerns. If I were to get covid or anything for that mater and bring it home it could be very serious or fatal for my spouse. My self also being in my late 60's.......or is it late 70's, don't remember???
After I get my shots which Doctor said wife cannot get and herd ammunity starts kicking in I should be there for 2022.
Really enjoyed the Gainsville get together and hope we can bring it back like it was.
Bill Cunningham Orlando

·
Elkybuick
2,881 Posts
I have some of the problems Bill is talking about and should have two Shots my then, I would not want too give it to my wife, May would be our 52 Wedding Anniversary and the 8th is mothers day so have a great time maybe next year.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Well, at this point it looks like the April 24 is the only weekend without a holiday. That is probably the best date on my schedule anyway.
Even though I will have both shots by then I will only do an outside eating, but might not be comfortable in a crowded restaurant so I might skip the night before meal.
If this comes together I will still lead a backroads trip to the track.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not up for going to the restaurant, but I'm interested in the get-together on May 29th, especially if we're still doing the backroads tour as well.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 2 restaurants I posted both have outdoor dining
That's why I picked them so we can eat outside & keep an eye on the rides

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not getting to much interest in the Get-Together
looks like it's only around 6-8 people
Not sure I want y'all to spend the travel money for just a few people to show up ????????????????????????

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Steve, Maybe if you start a list of those of us who want to go for sure & a exact date more will sign up . Covid shots are picking up & by April or May most people will have already got them . We had 14 Elkys at the show in N. Palm Beach , the most ever for that show in around 10 years . I think people are tired of staying home & are missing their friends . Still 2 or 3 months for people to sign up . We had a lot of Elkys show up in NPB who weren't on the list , had one from Key West , one from Tampa & one from Melbourne , most were from WPB area .Don't give up yet Steve , & take care of yourself & get well .

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
With the new system we can't do the mass email anymore & let people know the date for the Get-Together & as you know many people doesn't sign on much anymore
Many showed up to the event from the mass email
We're use to having 35-45 rides each year
I posted the event on around 6-7 el camino facebook groups & only got a couple responses
So with no mass emails to region 6 & 7 I just think there will be only a few rides to show up
Same the with the restaurant, have a bunch of tables reserved & only a few people show up ?
Like I said before, Hate to have people spend money just to have the event with only a few people show up ?
Just look at the poll results !

·
Registered
568 Posts
Steve, I have an idea. Will it work? I don't know. Anyway, here it is.:
Since mass mailings can not be made, send what you can (5) to five of us asking us to each contact five other specific members. That will get the message to thirty members.
You might have to include the names of the members you would have contacted yourself if you had been able to. I say this because I do not know a lot of our members yet.
What do you think?
If you like the idea and go ahead with it and you want more members contacted, just let me know who and I will sent a message to them.
R/T

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve, I have an idea. Will it work? I don't know. Anyway, here it is.:
Since mass mailings can not be made, send what you can (5) to five of us asking us to each contact five other specific members. That will get the message to thirty members.
You might have to include the names of the members you would have contacted yourself if you had been able to. I say this because I do not know a lot of our members yet.
What do you think?
If you like the idea and go ahead with it and you want more members contacted, just let me know who and I will sent a message to them.
R/T
the thing is we can't search for members user names or location anymore, (we could before the new site, we had many options to search) you have to have the first 2 digits of the user name, there is many users I don't remember their name & can not be wrong with it, so you can't send them the msg
It's hard for me to remember things when you only see it once a year (beside the Fl regular crew)
We have had people from other states join us
Was talking to Chuck & thought maybe Lenny could send me on of the attendance list we do for the Get-Together & send msg's that way ????
I do have a lot on my plate with my health problems right now, I'm talking with Dr's about doing heart surgery coming in the near future ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts