El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't been on do to no time or money i don't know if I'm posting in the right place but here goes i got a 1980 elko i drop the gas tank its fin the metal gas and vent lines are held together by clips that also acts as where the 3bolts that hold them on the bottom of bed and they have a lot of curves or bends are they needed or could i run them straight or by pass them ty sry if its in the wrong place

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I would keep them GM put them there for a reason, are the steel lines in good shape?. Fine lines makes new lines prebent if you need new ones. Good luck with your project.
Matty man

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would keep them GM put them there for a reason, are the steel lines in good shape?. Fine lines makes new lines prebent if you need new ones. Good luck with your project.
Matty man
its m sons gf cad and they told she needed a new gas tank quote was 900 my son volunteered me so ipulled the tank is fine the car was stalling well when i took the lines down cleaned them the gas metal line had pin holes now i have to pull all the lines out ty for answering my post and your advice

·
Supporting Member
4,624 Posts
Those metal lines were there to protect the gas lines from heat from the Muffler that fit crosswise in that space ( like a camaro). I took mine out 15 yrs ago when I went FI, and replaced them with Fuel rated hose. No issues so far ( 15 yrs!).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always wondered why those lines ran back and forth the way they do. I removed mine some time ago when preparing to go to fuel injection.
Thanks for the information. I always learn something new on this site.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
Carbureted cars use low pressure, but need volume of flow, the spaghetti allows for enough flow impedence to help with pressure maintenance, but doesn't restrict the volume. Fuel injected don't have that need since pump is in the tank, not on the block up front.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
350 Posts
I added a 3/8" line, mimicking the factory bends when I did a EFI conversion. There's really no logic to the bends that I can reason. I followed the existing and ran the fuel return line along the frame in parallel with supply line after the loops...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts