El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas gauge works infrequently, but the needle is almost always way past full. I'm sure it's not the gauge. Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it? Will I have to drop the tank? If so, are there any postings describing that process? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Having no gas gauge is a PITA!!

Thanks!

Alan in LA

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the float could be out of adjustment or the fuel sending unit may need to be replaced. You most likely will have to drop the tank.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Pull the fuse that says gauges... what did the gas gauge do??
Check the ground... ask me how i know...cheers

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
When there is an open circuit in the wiring for the gauge/sending unit it pegs past full. X2 on check the ground. You can see the ground wire coming from on top of the tank over to an area behind the rear bumper. Take it off and clean it and the metal area where it attaches. Let us know if that fixes it and if not we can take you a little deeper into it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dido for my oil pressure gage. Anyone know how it is grounded so I can check it out? (79 Elco)

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The sending unit is the ground on the oil pressure and temp gauges.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
try cleaning the ground wire at the tank,it should be between the tank and the driverside tail light.take the pink wire comeing from the tank and unplug it the gauge should go empty then ground it it should go to full. if it doesnt its in the wireing or in the dash cluster. check the dash ground its above the parking brake at the lower driver side dash mounting bolt.

B

·
0 Posts
im having the same problem. turn the key on and it says its over full. when i pull the gauge fuze and key it up nothing happens. i have checked the gauge ground and the one at the tank and they look to be good. could my sending unit be bad?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts