El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas guage on my 60 elky works but not completely. Somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 the guage will not work anymore. It registers good from the full mark, but once you hit the 1/2 mark, it might work until gas is used down to 1/4 or not. Reguardless, it will never work past 1/4 full mark. Can anyone recommend some guidence as to what I need to look for or how to trouble shoot to fix?

thanks
Taz

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your gage is like mine (it should be, even though mine is a '73 - GM so far as I know used the same balanced coil system for all mechanical fuel gages), you can do a quick and dirty test to see if it's the gage or the sender.

Find the wire that comes from the sender to the dash. Disconnect it (with the switch on). The fuel gage should swing all the way to either the full or empty indication. Now ground the wire. The fuel gage should swing all the way to the opposite indication. Which one is which is a matter of wiring choice, and I'm not sure that it was consistent for all years, but float will be one end and ground the other.

NOTE: Never connect the tank end of the wire directly to 12V. You will smoke the sender and possibly quite a bit more (TWA-800 comes to mind).

If the needle stops before getting all the way down, then you probably have a gage problem (sticking pivot point, something like that). If the needle gets all the way down, then something is going on with the sender (sticking/binding or a problem with the variable resistor). Normal function to a point and then a hard stop (vs a consistent high or low) doesn't really sound like a connection problem, so it's probably at one end or the other, not excessive resistance (bad connection) in the wiring between.

At least then you will know which end is the problem. I'm betting it's the sender, but you never can tell...

On mine, there is a bullet connector just inside the rear bumper where the sender connects into the main front-to-rear harness that makes an easy test point. Don't know what yours has.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fuel Gauge Problem...

:cool: I had the same problem with the sending unit in my 59'...I took the sending unit out of the tank, CAREFULLY took it apart (bend the tab's straight to take the cover off), cleaned the contact (look's like the end of ign contact pionts on one side & a small washboard grid on the other), sanded it lightly with 600 grit wet-n-dry sandpaper, then brushed it with my Brass Wire Brush (look's like a tooth brush), rinsed it off with GUMOUT Carb spray...CAREFULLY put it back together, tested it before putting it back in the tank (by hooking the positive wire up & grounding the sending unit to the frame & move the float up & down), it will take 2 people to do this...1 to hook it up & the other to watch the Gas Guage...don't forget to turn on the Ign key to check it out! Now mine work's GREAT! :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sending Unit...

:D There is a NEW one on eBay FOR SALE! Go to 1959 or 1960 El Camino on SEARCH...I just saw it today!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for the tips guys, It's suppose to be raining in my neck of the woods this weekend, so, I'll use your suggestions to diagnose my problem. I'll post my findings.

Taz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had a similar problem that drove me nutz :mad: for approximately 5 years. This summer the problem was going to be solved for the gauge worked well and then would be sporadic in its operation.

Replaced the gauge with a NOS, and sending unit. Rewired the ground and the lead to the gauge. Lots of 'monkeying around' BUT the problem is solved :D . As accurate as can be expected with a '59.

Hope you got your problem fixed.

Doc59Elky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts