El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was sort of freaky for me but.....

Yesterday I had to work, well all weekend long I had to work, anyway... I work in Dallas (Irving actually) and I live in S.W. Ft. Worth about forty miles from where I work. I decided to drive the Elky in, whether was nice and not going to storm, so when I left work, I had just made it on to the freeway and noticed that the Gas gage was showing empty. I mean really empty. I made it all the way home then to a gas station on just that gas.

When I filled it up it held all 22 gallons + a smidge. Now that is freaky! I have to be getting close to 17 or 18 Miles per gallon @ 75 Mph. Most of the time I was moving around 75 and at times I was doing 80 - 85. Not bad for a 383 W/750 CFM and automatic.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ElkyPete said:
This was sort of freaky for me but.....
Me thinks your gauge may be off just a tad figuring you needed nearly 3 gallons to make it home...On another note, I hope my new 355 gets that mileage...I would certainly be happy with that range!

Now if train A leave NY @ 6:00 am heading west at 75 miles an hour...opps, sorry that's another story. :p

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you're probably correct. Didn't really get me thinking until I looked at how much gas it took to fill it up. Once I get somewhere between a half and a quarter of a tank, I don't generally trust the gage any more it moves way too fast. I had thought that morning I had plenty to work off of and then some so I never bothered to look. Pretty stupid thing to do really.
But :) Hey it got me there and I didn't walk. Could have been a mess. I can see me trying to walk down a highway on crutches! :lol: That would be a sight!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I never trust a one tank fill up. On my elky it varies several gallons depending on the gas station terrian etc.

I hope the weather is good it TX. I am flying into DFW toninght and headed over to Tyler on business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts