El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check the oil today and the dipstick smelled of gas and the oil color was very light and transparent. I've been blowing out a fair amount of white smoke at start up and idle. I do have a few oil drips that i need to track down and diagnose, I was told i need new valve cover gaskets and that might be part of the issue.
But how would this happen and what can id do about it? :|

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Gas could be leaking from the carb into the engine. Is it hard to start after it sits awhile?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really, It usually fires up first try with a plume of white smoke. But as of the last few weeks it has been running a tad sluggish.. I pulled the plugs and they have a good amount of oil deposits on them so i figured that was the reason (gaskets) . But i'm sure the carb could use a good tune up as well. I checked the fuel pump and the hoses where damp around the fasteners. I tightened them up and ran it recently but they were still a bit wet after that. You think that would point to the pump itself or the lines?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Are you sure the fuel pump is not leaking oil into the crankcase?
White smoke on start is also an indication of valve seals.
Rocker cover gaskets leaking should have no bearing on oil on the plug electrodes.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
when the diaphram in the fuel pump goes,, it can leak fuel into the oil pan..
if the fuel pump has not been changed in the last few years?? thats where id start..and change the oil also..

if it was acting like it was running rich
if the plugs were black/wet and smelled like fuel?? id say carb problem..

x2 on valve seals causing the smoke on startup..:texas:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
replace the fuel pump and reseal the well plugs in between the carb body and carb base .90 % of the time the cause of fuel in the crankcase is a bad pump. diluted fuel can be easily sucked past the rings and valve seals and cause smoke. a lot of things will get oil on the plugs.leaky intake gaskets, leaky valve seals, worn valve guides or rings.fuel pumps are about 20 $ and about the same to reseal the carb.do those first then tighten the intake bolts and see how many of your simptoms go away

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys now I have a good starting point. I really appreciate it and will check back in and let you know hows its going.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree no dought you ned a new fuel pump. Diaphram is most likely out and pushing fuel into crankcase. I would be suprised if that is not the problem. Good lucik!!:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts