El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas pedal stuck the other day so I looked and the cable to the carb I have about one inch or so of play and there is no spring I can see on my pedal it's just has free play for an inch or so the carb. spring does all the work . I saw a post of a spring does it go in the metal housing mounted to the firewall inside the cab where the pedal rod connects to the cable? I saw the spring at the El Camino store. Is this it and do I need to take the bracket apart to put it in?
Thanks
Robert

Click on above image to view full picture(s)

1968-87 Gas Pedal Spring
El Camino Gas Pedal Spring, 1968-1987

• Reproduction Of Original
This El Camino reproduction gas pedal spring has been manufactured to original factory specifications using today's modern manufacturing techniques. You will find the fit and function will work superbly for your restoration. In addition, using reproduction gas pedal spring from the El Camino Store will add authenticity and value to your vehicle.

Part #: 02-0844
Price: $4.99 ea.

Low Price Guarantee

Qty:

Availability: In Stock

Email to a Friend

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
That pic is of a spring that goes on the pedal

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pic is of a spring that goes on the pedal

I have nothing on my pedal but the rod. Does that keep the cable tight or just the pedal even when pushing? I have no problem but that spring isn't there.

G

·
I think its gonna be the throttle return spring. The old one might have broken but you can get a whole set of them at O'reillys for 5 bucks and you can mount them on the cable and intake if I remember how my old 355 was setup. Boy I miss that engine....:frown2:

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Springs are there just put a Rebuilt carb. from Mt Man and the two green spring are there. So there should be no play in the cable and that gas pedal spring has nothing to do with the cable tension correct? I will replace the two green springs there real light but I still have that play in the cable anyways. The return at the carb. is fine with the car off that's why I thought that pedal spring my put tension on the cable. It's twenty seven years old maybe it stretched out?:dontknow: There's no problem driving I just saw a post on that spring and my pedal doesn't have one what's it for? My pedal stuck from a wire hanging down under the dash and cough the pedal. I know how to get the play out I forgot they micky moused the cable at the carb. and I fixed it so it needs to be shortened up an inch.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"My pedal stuck from a wire hanging down under the dash and cough the pedal. "

Now, is that what the problem was, or was it a missing spring. I didn't like the way my carb return spring function, so I replaced it with a strong spring (out of a general spring kit). Wurkin' fine. :poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"My pedal stuck from a wire hanging down under the dash and cough the pedal. "

Now, is that what the problem was, or was it a missing spring. I didn't like the way my carb return spring function, so I replaced it with a strong spring (out of a general spring kit). Wurkin' fine. :poke:
I don't have a problem after my pedal stuck on the wire I looked underneath inside and noticed about an inch of bare cable hooked to the pedal linkage and the play in the pedal before pulling the cable. Truck is fine but I saw a post here about this pedal spring and there's no spring on mine and I thought maybe that the spring held tension on the cable. What's the pedal spring do just keep the pedal straight? That's all I was wondering what's it for.

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input but what I wanted to know is what's the function of this spring?

GAS PEDAL SPRING!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The pedal has to be removed from the firewall, with three screws, to install the spring. If I remember correctly, the pivot pin has to be removed to mount the spring, since the pin goes through the spring. If it's removed from the firewall, where you can look it over, you would see how the spring goes in. There may be part of the spring in there yet (?)
That's the way mine was.....

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O.k. I saw the three screws and a clip on you tube how to install.
Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
The spring won't get rid of the slack in the cable. It just helps hold the pedal up. Have someone press the pedal all the way to the floor while you push on the carb linkage to see if it opening all the way. You will need to adjust the cable holding bracket that comes off the rear of the intake I think on an 87 to adjust travel.

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The spring won't get rid of the slack in the cable. It just helps hold the pedal up. Have someone press the pedal all the way to the floor while you push on the carb linkage to see if it opening all the way. You will need to adjust the cable holding bracket that comes off the rear of the intake I think on an 87 to adjust travel.

Makes more sense I couldn't figure how to adjust it and I know the bracket your talking about.:beer:
Thanks
Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts