El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about this and decided to post....I notice that when driving my 87 I get a slight gas smell inside the car from time to time. Been this way for a long time and since it isnt constant I usually ignore it. No leaks can be found. Im running an Edelbrock carb. Other than a little gas getting past the cap on sharp right turns (if tank's full) Im clueless. Could it be the open air filter Im running? The fuel vapor canister is not hooked to the carb and the line capped that use to go to the CCC qradrajet, and I never can smell fuel from the canister when under the hood. :dontknow:

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine has the same odors. I traced it to the vent line from gas tank to cannister , plugged solid. Also find periodically, pressure builds up in tank. I am very soon about to replace the line front to back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As noted by others above, the most common cause for the smell you are getting is that the vapor canister has had the charcoal go bad in it. I would recommend replacing it with the correct charcoal first, then see if it still happens. Some people have a more sensitive nose to smelling such things too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
jmchevy & gwgdog66,

I've refreshed my charcoal canister using aquarium activated charcoal from a pet store. Please see my post here:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=336638#post336638

My old charcoal was also wet looking and I could set fire to it briefly.
Thanks Michael.

I replaced every thing in mine this morning. New carbon charcoal from the pet store ($19.99), and a new ($2.15) filter PN# EC224 from Advance auto, and no more fuel smell at all. :beer:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A week ago I replaced the charcoal canister ,rechecked all fuel lines and carb, and still have a gas smell every once in a while when driving. I did find my gas cap may not seal really tight on the aftermarket Spectra fuel tank I have, that may be it but guess Ill keep digging.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A week ago I replaced the charcoal canister ,rechecked all fuel lines and carb, and still have a gas smell every once in a while when driving. I did find my gas cap may not seal really tight on the aftermarket Spectra fuel tank I have, that may be it but guess Ill keep digging.
My fuel smell came back yesterday. My fuel pump started leaking. New fuel pump and lines from pump to carb. no smell and runs much better now also.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Glad you figured it out. :nanawrench:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts