El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the gas tank door from a '71 will work on a '65? It looks the same from the pictures I've seen but I can't be sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there?

I find it hard to believe that nobody who reads these posts in the El Camino world can tell me if gas filler door from a 1971 El Camino will fit a 1965 El Camino. Maybe I wasn't descriptive enough. It is the little door on the dirvers side quarter panel that opens to reveal the gas tank fill tube.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic about it. It's just that I have an opportunity to pick one up and I need to know soon if it will work on my '65.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Banned
881 Posts
Welcome to ECC Rob!

I wish I could help you Rob. I looked in my Hollander Interchange but it doesn't cover gas doors. The closest it gets is quarter panels.

So, since this is far from my area of expertise, the best I can do is give you a free opinion. I don't think it'll fit. These are two different generations of El Camino, six years apart.

I hope there's someone else here who can be of greater assistance.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Rob..this doesn't answer your question, and it may sound dumb, but when ever I go to a boneyard looking to match up parts, I take digital pictures of the parts at different angles and blow them up, print them out, and take them with me. Is this possible for you to do or are you buying it off the internet? If you are buying it off the internet and providing it's at a decent price and in good condition, buy it anyway there's always someone else that will be looking for a gas tank filler door for a 68-72 Elky sooner than later and maybe you can even make a few bucks off the deal. I myself bought a 5th Gen Elky gas tank filler door off of Ebay for $5.00 and my original one is still good. The original has a key lock and I just didn't want to have the look of a lil chrome dot (the lock) on the back of my quaterpanel when I repaint the car. Did the same with all four door hinges. I'll bead blast the originals, POR15/prime them, install new pins/bushings and sell them. Ever see what one rebuilt hinge goes for on Ebay, you wouldn't believe it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the help.

The one I was looking at was on ebay. It looked real close to my '65 door but who knows. It isn't up there anymore. My current one also has a keylock in it. My brother in law, who's restoring it, said they can weld a plate inside and make it look right. I guess that will work for now. I solid one would be nice but if the pickens are slim you do what you can.

Thanks for the input though! I really appreciate it and I'm really happy to have found ECC. I think I'll be spending a lot of time here. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts