El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got under my camino today to change the oil and noticed this. The gasket almost made a tab. A mechanic put a new oil pump in it when he had to fish the timing gear out of the pan and a new gasket would this be why I am burning more oil? How or what should I do to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks to me like the oil is coming from higher up. As for the gasket there are alot of makers that make the gasket for right hand or left hand dipsticks to cover more year models, since theres not really alot of oil on the pan under that i wouldnt think the gasket on the oil pan is the problem..

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
there are 2 diffrent pan gaskets ,one for a right side dip stick one for left side, thats no way for some one to fix your ride !!! :dontknow:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the oil looked like it was coming from an odd place and I did not think it could have come from the oil pan gasket initially but it looked weird so I snapped a photo to ask. Where else should I be looking for a leak? Putting aside the bad gasket choice is it a good long term fix or should I try to get it replaced? Or is the gasket tab purely cosmetic?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
How could oil not be coming out there???? Lots & lots of gasket material???:dontknow:
Donny
..thats what I was thinking too,but I bet he has one of these installed...:dontknow:

.Here the other set...

..here the set I'm used to..

:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
How much oil are you adding/how often?

You obviously have an oil leak coming from somewhere. Clean your engine, go for a drive and then inspect and see if you can find where that oil is coming from if you don't already know.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Check your valve covers for a slow trickle of oil ... does it smoke or smell like oil burning when it starts warming up ?? check your timing cover for any weeping , your rear seal could be weeping ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts