El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these things don't seem related but I have found odd symptoms when troubleshooting these cars.

84 El Camino, just got it painted and when it came back I have found several issues unrelated to the paint work.

Noticed the instrument cluster lights don't work (rotated dimmer on headlight knob, still won't work) and when I press on the brake pedal with the ignition off the warning beeper sounds. Key out, lights off but the beeper sounds while the brake is pressed.I checked the manual and don't see where the lights left on beeper circuit is.

My fuel gauge doesn't work either but I suspect the ground wire is off from the painter removing the rear bumper somehow.

Fuses look good. I have the service manuals and electrical supplement (thanks to ebay) and I am a recovering electrical engineer so I know how to read this stuff. Just doesn't make sense.

Hoping someone here has seen this before and can offer some advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some more info

Well, I was suspicious of all this and checked to see if I have brake lights. I did not. No tail lights either.

I was able to fix it with a new ground connection to the frame. The ground wire pulled out of the ring connector really easily so I put a new ring connector on, drilled a new hole and put a new #8 self tapping screw into the metal of the body underneath the bed.

Brake and tail lights work, beeper no longer beeps when I step on the brakes. Do you suppose the engineers at GM designed it that way?? Another symptom before I fixed the ground was the hazard flashers would also 'beep' when flashing. Ground wire solved all that.

Now I am just down to a fuel gauge that is now pegged at about 3 O'clock past the full mark. I found a loose wire but fixing that wire did not fix the problem. I'll keep digging.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Check the wire coming off the sending unit in the tank. It probably got unplugged and is grounding out, causing your gauge to peg on full.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I'm no expert but I don't think GM planned any of the symptoms that way. My guess is that electricity has an uncanny way of finding the shortest route from positive to ground no matter what instrument, relay or bulb it goes through to get there. :Eyecrazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts