El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car the temp gauge was not working at all, I checked the resistance at the sending unit and it read high when the engine was cold and went down as the engine warmed up. When I grounded the gauge it pegged and then twirled and danced around. So I replaced the gauge, now it moves up as the engine begins to warm up but reaches a point between an 1/8" and a 1/4" from the bottom and stops even after the engine should be at normal temp. The engine is a 350 crate, I don't know if it came with the sending unit or if the owner who changed the engine installed it. Do the sending unit and gauge have to be matched? The gauge I installed is an oem replacement.

The fuel gauge never gets to full when the the tank is full and sometimes acts like it is going down as the level drops and other times not.

The oil pressure and voltmeter seemed to be working when I got it but now the voltmeter reads low around 10 when running, compared to the reading taken with a multimeter at the battery which is normal (14.?). The oil pressure is always reads over 40 or 50 and never drops even when the engine is warm at an idle.

Any ideas as to a starting point would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Check your grounds...
One on the passanger side on the rear of the head (block Ground to ecm) Ground strap from Drivers side rear of head to firewall...And a ground screw with a wire to the dash just above the parking brake....cleaned those and fixed my temp and volt gauges.....:nanawrench:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, above the parking brake pedal or release handle? Not sure, but I don't think the ecm is in use. It has an HEI distributor and a Holley carb with electric choke, so I know the ingine is not controlled by the ecm. I will clean and tighten the grounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts