28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the 78-81 had 2 options for gauges
the round rally gauges
the sweep style speedometer
yes the 78-81 had 2 options for gauges
the round rally gauges
the sweep style speedometer
That is sweet. Is there any one on this forum that rebuilds or has a large inventory of these gauge clusters? I could use the pod mount plus the shadow box even to go with Dakota gauges, I would prefer to stay stock with the tach and rally gauges. Thank you for all the help with all the these question, you have turned out to be a blessing on this treasure hunt.
Thank you,
racer402

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
One thing to note is that if you have the sweep style cluster now...you will either have to change out your dash harness or re-pin your existing harness. The wiring at the cluster connection is not configured the same making it not a direct swap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing to note is that if you have the sweep style cluster now...you will either have to change out your dash harness or re-pin your existing harness. The wiring at the cluster connection is not configured the same making it not a direct swap.
Yes the Dash circuit connector pin location show that they are all the same for factory and warning lights with the exception of the tachometer. The tachometer connection branches from the cluster connector to a separate single {number17} contact female connector that mates with a separate tachometer harness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the Dash circuit connector pin location show that they are all the same for factory and warning lights with the exception of the tachometer. The tachometer connection branches from the cluster connector to a separate single {number17} contact female connector that mates with a separate tachometer harness.
But couldn't you take the tachometer feed from the distributer and plug directly to the pigtail from the tachometer?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The same wire colors/ function are there but they are not in the same locations between the sweep and optional gauges.

Sweep cluster connector...

1-9

Electrical wiring Networking cables Cable Electronic engineering Electronic component

Optional round gauge cluster connector

1-9

Jewellery Electric blue Cable Font Strap

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a good link on the swap

Thank you

Thank you ,I have this printed for when the time comes to do the switch and I have collected all I need to do this.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
Hardest part about swapping to gauges is finding a speedometer. You can get the pod gauges all day long, anywhere, even find blanks or tach, but speedometers nobody rebuilds/sells. If you can even find your vehicle in a salvage yard, 99/100 the dash cluster is already long gone. For the money, it's seriously almost worth it to go with a Dakota or equitable digital, you'll get all the gauges and they'll all match.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hardest part about swapping to gauges is finding a speedometer. You can get the pod gauges all day long, anywhere, even find blanks or tach, but speedometers nobody rebuilds/sells. If you can even find your vehicle in a salvage yard, 99/100 the dash cluster is already long gone. For the money, it's seriously almost worth it to go with a Dakota or equitable digital, you'll get all the gauges and they'll all match.
While trying to stay stock as much as possible, My Elky came with 2 dash pods and 2 sets of gauges ,all of which are not really usable, So even going with Dakota or Equitable gauges
I still need the pod and shadow box. preferably in black , I would like to stay with the 1978 size gauge pod. Open for discussion.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
Maybe. Depends on the kit you get. 78-87 is the same guage fitment, but some kits have no need of the original pod since the shadow box overlaps the edges of the gauges. It's a matter of getting the kit/look you want, and then figuring if you need more parts, no point buying stuff you can't use. Pods and boxes, even the housings aren't that hard to get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts