El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i came up with the opportunity to purchase a gaylord bedcover, brand new never opened for $500, i checked EC parts, and its list is $800. its the flat non textured black cover, and that could work on my car, or i could always get it painted.

few questions though, first, i've got bed rails now, so i'd have to remove those, and somehow fill in the holds from those right? is this reccomended/easy?

2nd, the bed cover is about 200 miles from where im going for vacation, and he said he would not ship. so i'd have to drive my elky(we were just going to take the family car) i'd be putting about 1000+ miles on my elky. Would this be worth it? i'd save $300+ on the cover, and i'd get a chance to take my el on a trip(most comfortable car ever) but i coudl see it being a bit of a hassel. what would you guys reccomend?

i eventually want to do the tucked bumper conversions, and maybe the camaro front end, and i've always wanted one of these fiberglass covers, you guys seem to like them the best. HELP AN ELKY LOVER OUT!!!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Now that is a dilemma. You'd actually save more than 300 bucks. Consider the shipping costs. Back when I got my cover the shipping was something like 150.00 now it is probably twice that amount. so you can be potentially saving $600.00. Does that help make up your mind?

I paid only like $600.00 for the cover from EC Parts. Still $500.00 is a good price for a new cover. As far as the holes. I would suggest that you get some sheet metal screws and run those in the holes and cut off the heads. Then some light body work to cover them up. Either that or use a welder and plug them that way.

If you just used Bondo or a body filler they can eventually vibrate out leaving a hole once again. I have known people that have gone that route in different areas. For my piece of mind I'd do something more permanent and did.

Anyway that is what I would do. Your money, what would you suggest to someone asking the same question?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, ok yeah, i figured shipping would be more like 100...but that does make more sense that its upwards of 2-300...cause its freight....well, now to convince the dad that i need it :) the guy also might have a new dash for me...sooooo basically i think i want it, didnt even think about the welding, and i wanna repaint my baby one day anyways :) as always you guys RULE!!!!

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Find out when Honest Charley's is gonna' be at a major auto event close to you and they will deliver one to the show for no shipping charge. E-mail them and ask them about their show schedule. Same with the other ECC/NECOA sponsors. You'd also get 10% off as an NECOA member.

Never mind, I just checked their current price. You'd still be out an extra $150 or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts