El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Need suggestions on gear ratio for 1/8th mile drag race?
setup will be
Naturally aspirated small block
Th350 /2800 stall shift kit
Cam rpm is 2500/6500
Thanks in advance

Premium Member
4:56 or even lower like 5:10....
Yea, lower will make better use of the 1/8 mile. Gotta keep in mind things like weight, torque curve, HP curve, and shift points if you want to get technical about it. Personally I like to just run it and guess, but going the technical route will probably get better results. Also, will make a major difference if the car is going to be a dedicated drag car or driver/dragster. Best of luck finding the perfect gear!

Joe

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, lower will make better use of the 1/8 mile. Gotta keep in mind things like weight, torque curve, HP curve, and shift points if you want to get technical about it. Personally I like to just run it and guess, but going the technical route will probably get better results. Also, will make a major difference if the car is going to be a dedicated drag car or driver/dragster. Best of luck finding the perfect gear!

Joe
Thanks for the reply. It鈥檚 gonna be a street / strip car... anything over 20/40 miles it will be on a trailer. I found a set of new 4:11 with a open carrier and a mini spool for $175 new never ran!!!

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. It鈥檚 gonna be a street / strip car... anything over 20/40 miles it will be on a trailer. I found a set of new 4:11 with a open carrier and a mini spool for $175 new never ran!!!
If you're running the 7.5" rear the spool will work for a bit but axles will go bye-bye pretty quick if your motor is anywhere near 300hp to the wheels. A co-worker had a 5.3 with 330 at the rear wheels in his S-10 with the 7.62 rear and snapped an axle within a week. Spool cars are better suited for the trailer full time. I don't know the HP you're putting out of that motor but if I was gonna hit the strip again on a regular basis I would start saving for a 9" upgrade or at the minimum go with what I did for my 7.5". I got a Yukon 7.62" posi from Quick Performance and new axles from Moser all with 28 spline count. I have confidence that it will hold up even if I decide to put some sticky tires on and hit the drag strip on occasion!

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts