El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't let the thumbnail pic of my '74 fool you! That was from a restoration done long before I got her. Originally from Arlington herself, There was some bad body work done that came back through, the interior was shot from being closed up for years, and the engine came in the bed, in pieces! She is now on jack stands, with the complete drivetrain, suspension, fuel system, brakes, etc. all removed. Ready to clean, treat, and start reassembly. Lots to do for the 60th, but lots of time, also. I have been collecting parts, including some from members on this site, and getting ready to dive in, hopefully as soon as the weather improves a bit more. I'm not much for pics or talking about what I do, but I will try to be better at it, both here and in my garage, which has one upside down pic, I think. Anyway, what are others up to in their prep for Texas?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Enjoy your rebuild. Sounds like a fun and a lot of experience in getting it ready. I always have liked the fifth gens.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much! Look how low that poor thing was!! Took a lot of work to find original, normal height spindles! Ended up finding them in a junkyard in Michigan. Sold the drop spindles, have the front drop coils if anyone wants them, just pay shipping and they're yours. I believe they are 1" drop, have the numbers if anyone's interested. Anyway, I can't be the only one on this entire site with work to do on my build for the 60th??!!! Chime in, members!!

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Anyone Else?

Where's the members' stories of preparing to attend the 60th Anniversary celebration next year. Let's hear from them..................Ken

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am working on it too!

Rob, nice project ( love that color).
I am working on my 59 to be there too.
I painted inner fenders today, and hooked up some gauges.
Hope to see you there.
Not smart enough to post pics here, check my driver out at
steve1959camino.blogspot.com

Steve

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Hope to see you there, too! You, and others also, start new threads in this section so we can see or read of the progress. And I love the color of mine, too. I'm thinking the same color, non-metallic, with silver pin striped ghost flames, subtle yet classy. That's the idea this week. Lots to do before I get to that part!

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Working on this Forum

The technicians are working to make this Forum refresh to the HOME page. We'll get the glitch fixed..................Ken

·
Dep. Director, Region 9
49 Posts
Thank you very much! Look how low that poor thing was!! Took a lot of work to find original, normal height spindles! Ended up finding them in a junkyard in Michigan. Sold the drop spindles, have the front drop coils if anyone wants them, just pay shipping and they're yours. I believe they are 1" drop, have the numbers if anyone's interested. Anyway, I can't be the only one on this entire site with work to do on my build for the 60th??!!! Chime in, members!!
Nice 74 Rob. I am replacing missing bumper filler on right side now and planning on new paint before the 60th anniversary blast. trying to decide if I want to drive it down there or trailer my baby, she only has 40,000 original miles and the trip is over 1,000 one way. lol

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you! For me, it's a 1500 mile trip, so I'll see how the resto goes and then consider a trailer if I decide to avoid some of the wear on a new girl. Not a fan of trailer queens normally, but this is a long and big trip for most of us, so avoiding the wear can be important. I have an 8 hour rule - under 8, you drive it, over 8 you use discretion. This is a bit over 8!

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Very cool project Rob. I need to come up with the dollars to replace the transmission. I also need to get air conditioning back working. I look forward to meeting you all there.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking forward to seeing EVERYONE in Arlington, the birthplace of my Elky! Get that trans and A/C up and running, 78 Elk! Start some new threads here so we can follow everyone on their projects for the 60th.....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, went to the swap meet at Englishtown, NJ this weekend. Not a great turn out this time I think overall, but scored a nice console from a '79 Camaro and some vintage M/T aluminum valve covers for my 400. I think the console will look great in my '74 with a custom knob to set it apart. Can't wait to see it installed!

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Successful Mission.............

Keep the progress reports coming. October of 2019 will be here before we know it and, as Rick has alluded - your progress stories may indeed give others the incentive to speed up their own plans, thus enabling them to come and join us at the 60th Anniversary celebration....................Ken

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Put a 60th Anniversary sticker on the back window of my truck to keep me from having it creep up on me and to remind the wife I'll be gone a couple of weeks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Smart move! I have another two weeks or so of work I have to do, then plan on locking myself in the garage when I can to get seriously moving. My back yard is kind of the gathering point for the neighbors in the summer, lots of fun! I built a covered bar, outdoor kitchen, has a pool and jacuzzi, music, and hangout deck. Not fancy, but very comfortable and relaxing. Anyway, once that is set up for the season, I'll be in the garage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts