El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my elkie, i had the sweep dash with idiot lights. the dash i'm pulling out of the laguna has the round gauges. i know i'll need the senders, but i'd rather get new. any clues as to where i could get them? also, is the wiring harnesses different between the two dashes? pulling the parts friday and i need to know if i have to cut the harnesses off the laguna.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,617 Posts
I believe that the harness is different. I tried to change a sweep dash for a round gauge dash in a '77 once, and it was not "plug & play". I gave up on that idea and went with aftermarket gauges. Not saying you can't make it work, it's just that I chose another direction. That was many years and projects ago.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got this off the net a couple of years ago.

02-21-08 05:24 PM - Post#1371661

I took the wiring harness from my 73 sprint with rectangular gauges and installed it into my 76 el camino and swapped in some round guages. I got all kinds of weird things happening now! Somebody on here has taken the time and effort to transpose the wires that plug into the back of the cluster assembly.

Loc: seward,ILLINOIS
Reg: 10-12-07
02-21-08 05:46 PM - Post#1371679
In response to Bruisr

here you go buddy ---------------> Here's what you need. Copy/paste it and it will get you through the conversion.
here this will save you a lot of time and thrown wrenches .
1....lt green 10....blue
2....blue white stripe 11....gray
3....tan 12....lt blue
4....pink 13.....tan
5....tach lead 14....green
6....not used 15....not used
7....black 16.....pink
8....brown 17.....yellow
9....not used 18.....yellow black stripe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts