El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to remove the hood so I can pull the engine and transmission from a Gen 5 3.8 V6.
Is it better to unbolt the hood from the hinges, or leave the hood bolted to the hinges and remove the hinges from the inner fenders instead?
Just want to check which is the easier method so I can get the hood refitted and aligned as simply as possible.
TIA

·
Registered
910 Posts
The easier method is to unbolt the hood from the hinges...just be sure to mark and/or scribe the mating position of the parts which will facilitate re-installation and alignment. Also, take note that in addition to the 4 hinge bolts, there are two sheet metal screws along the outer edge of the hood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just be sure to mark and/or scribe the mating position of the parts which will facilitate re-installation and alignment. Also, take note that in addition to the 4 hinge bolts, there are two sheet metal screws along the outer edge of the hood.
Thanks, I had suspected that might be the easier way. After an experience removing the hood from a Jensen Healey as a teenager which was a pain in the butt to realign, I always mark the position of the hinges before I remove anything!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
A few years ago I thought I wanted a raised hood on mine and before I removed the hood I went around it with a black Sharpie and it left a perfect outline! Just stay tight to the hinge when scribing or marking with Sharpie! Careful with the 2 small screws they are easy to lose! I used a boat cushion to protect the windshield and 2 people makes it a lot easier! Although I did put the original hood back on by myself! Good luck! (y):cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts