El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a new head unit. Done this before on wife's much newer ride. Stumped with backup camera. Wired the camera switch line to the back up/turn signal slot in the fuse box but can't get things to work properly. Is there another place to wire the camera switch so it will come on when the auto trans is placed in reverse? Your input appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On a 5th gen, the back-up harness is under the dash on the lower portion of the steering column.
Can't remember the wire color, though I did wire an auto dimming mirror to that harness.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the input. Zerberfert, I failed to mention I am using a wifi sending unit connected in the rear and another one under the dash to avoid all the wiring from back to front. Used one on my wife's car and it works well.

I know camera works as I temporarily connected it to a hot lead and all was well. Found a pic of the reverse switch while researching this site, but could not find a similar unit under my dash (the pic was from a hump shifter, not on column like mine, perhaps that was a reason.) I did find a couple of other members who mentioned backup wire is light green as JJ mentioned. I read about a semi-circular plastic snap switch with the wires, but no luck so far. Will keep looking. Anyone have a pic perhaps?

Got the new head unit wired today and took it out for a test drive. BIG improvement with kickpanel component speakers. Just need to backup to work and I'm ready to be a roadie. Again, appreciate the input! dk

·
Registered
6 Posts
back up light wire.

that wire runs from the back up light switch to the rear of the car on the drivers side,. I tapped it in the drivers side kick panel, that bundle runs the whole *** end and is easy to get to when you take the kick panel off. it is green. I did this and boy do I love it! I bought a cheapie head unit with a 7 inch touch screen and back up cam capable. I am old and my neck don't work too good, so this is a good deal!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks

JJ, thx for the picture, helpful. And John, the insight regarding the kickpanel also a help. (BTW, agree with you that this modification is a good one for necks that don't seem to work as well as in earlier years).

All is working. Appreciate all the help that was shared. Hoping I can share with others here as well, passing it forward as you have done for me. dk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone had experiance with the width of backup camera mirrors. The one I'm showing below is 12 inches wide, and I know the 5thGen mirrors are 10 inches?

Your experiances would be appreciated.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts