El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been working on a 73 El camino for some time now. Swapped the 350 for a 396 out of a '66. Since the swap the Gen light wont turn off when the car is on. The battery would die quickly so I figured it was the alternator. I got the alt tested and it failed 3 times. I thought the new alt would fix the issue but the Gen light is still on. The light turns off when the alternator is disconnected, which is expected right?? I had a friend tell me the issue must be further upstream in the wiring. Seeing how the electrical is not my strong suit, do you guys have any recommendations on where I should start? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Is it still running the original alternator with the small square 2 prong plug?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a 73 i think still has the seperate regulator on the core suport near the driverside headlight.a square box aprox 3 in square with a 4 or 5 flat connector change it also

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it still running the original alternator with the small square 2 prong plug?
The alternator and plug is from the 66'. Its still a square 2 prong plug but its not the original from the 73. (I removed the original prong that came with the elcamino when it had the 350 and rewired the prong that was connected to the alt in the 396.)

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts
that could be the issue?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
The alternator and plug is from the 66'. Its still a square 2 prong plug but its not the original from the 73. (I removed the original prong that came with the elcamino when it had the 350 and rewired the prong that was connected to the alt in the 396.)
...So,what you're saying is,that you used the alt off of the "66" and put it on your "73" correct.?????...if that the case,the alt you got from the 66 will NOT work on a 73 body style,you need to change over to the correct one....

..this one need a external voltage regulator..

...This is the one you need..with internal voltage regulator...

..good luck and have fun...:beer::beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i saw a tech article that said the si alts wernt used untill 75
Perhaps not, but someone may have made some changes over the years.
I have a pair of 73 Malibus at home---I will check this evening.
Don't pay much attenton to them and never bothered to look at the wiring.

If the OP's car does have a regulator, he might want to check to see if is connected.
Takes only about 5 minutes of ime and a couple of wire terminals to bypass the
original regulator----and then it is god for the later model Alternator.

If he had to change a couple of wires for the alternator plug---I would suspect that the car had already been updated for a later alternator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts