El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Gen light in the dash goes on and off. Mostly on when at idle, mostly off at mid or high range RPMs, flickers in the middle ground.

-67 El Camion with unknown SBC 350
-Alternator is a one wire
-After market volt meter reads are consistent in that they are sufficient with ACC on, at idle, and slightly higher at higher RPMS

I honestly don't even know where the Gen dash light gets it ready from or where/how its wired.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
The gen light gets ignition power to 1 side of the bulb. the other side originally ended at the alternator with a stop by the regulator. If the reg./alternator side of the wire touches ground the light will come on. When the alternator side got charge voltage applied that put voltage to both sides of the bulb so it would go out.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Yeah... your one-wire alternator kicks the generator light out of the mix. Whoever did the conversion didn’t tidy up the remaining wires,

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked for a regulator and could not find one but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it. where would this be stock?
Alt goes straight to the battery, not a junction box.

I'll check the belts but I haven't heard any slipping.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
that brown wire going in the regulator is the Alt Excite/Gen light wire..
heres a pic

the thread

·
Registered
13 Posts
So my Gen light in the dash goes on and off. Mostly on when at idle, mostly off at mid or high range RPMs, flickers in the middle ground.

-67 El Camion with unknown SBC 350
-Alternator is a one wire
-After market volt meter reads are consistent in that they are sufficient with ACC on, at idle, and slightly higher at higher RPMS

I honestly don't even know where the Gen dash light gets it ready from or where/how its wired.
For all the time and trouble it'll take you to figure it out, just take it to a reputable GM dealer for diagnosis. Then, if you're up to it, fix it yourself. I have a hunch it has something to do with the one-wire alternator. Take it off and have it tested on a machine (AutoZone, etc) Most one wire alternators have the internal regulator wired open and full on. If you still have your external regulator hooked up, this might be one of many causes of your issue....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking the same thing... figured if it was easy or common id do it myself. but I don't want to be chasing electrical issues for the new 5 weekends

1 - 13 of 13 Posts