El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpt from the press release:
The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs.

You can read the State of Georgia press release here.

Copper

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Excerpt from the press release:
The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs.
You can read the State of Georgia press release here.

Copper

Texas raises speed limit to 85 mph: Other states could, too

By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

• Texas' new highest-in-the-nation speed limit — 85 mph on a 41-mile stretch of toll road between Austin and San Antonio— could mean that other states will soon see higher speed limits, experts say.
Anyone gonna top this? I love Texas:texas:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the technology in today's cars, and more rigorous testing for the operator of the car, we could all safely drive in the 85-90 mph range on our interstates.

With the exception of a few mountainous areas and cities there is no reason why the speed limit on our interstates should be 55 anywhere. Have you driven across the plains? Warp drive wouldn't be too fast.

Copper

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
With the technology in today's cars, and more rigorous testing for the operator of the car, we could all safely drive in the 85-90 mph range on our interstates.

With the exception of a few mountainous areas and cities there is no reason why the speed limit on our interstates should be 55 anywhere. Have you driven across the plains? Warp drive wouldn't be too fast.

Copper
I thought the 55 limit was repealed, I certainly havent seen a 55 sign anywhere I've been in CA recently except on some largish streets, but certainly not on freeways. BTW I have driven across the plains and based on my experience there is a fair number of drivers who are barely in control of their vehicle while stopped at a stoplight let alone tearing down the highway at 90.

this is especially true in CA where the most important skill ever taught in drivers Ed is effing parallel parking, southern california brains are also water soluable, one drop of rain and most calif drivers brains dissolve and drain out their ears.

Texas' new highest-in-the-nation speed limit — 85 mph on a 41-mile stretch of toll road between Austin and San Antonio— could mean that other states will soon see higher speed limits, experts say
41/3,233.4=.012

85 mph on 1.2% of texas' 3,233.4 miles of highways is a reason to live in texas? lets not set the bar too high :nanawrench:

All of that said, I certainly wouldnt argue against a raised limit, 70-75 seems pretty pokey now.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the 55 limit was repealed, I certainly havent seen a 55 sign anywhere I've been in CA recently except on some largish streets, but certainly not on freeways. BTW I have driven across the plains and based on my experience there is a fair number of drivers who are barely in control of their vehicle while stopped at a stoplight let alone tearing down the highway at 90.

this is especially true in CA where the most important skill ever taught in drivers Ed is effing parallel parking, southern california brains are also water soluable, one drop of rain and most calif drivers brains dissolve and drain out their ears.

The double nickle may have been repealed at the federal level but there are still sections of interstate, out in the middle of nowhere, that are still 55 here in North Carolina. There are sections of interstate that are 70 too, most are 65, but there is no reason why some of I-40 west of Winston-Salem is 55. I suspect it is a revenue generation device.

We have the same problem with water soluble brain cells here in NC. Plus we have the added joy of sleet, freezing rain, and occasionally, snow to deal with. Winter is a good time to be a paint and body man in NC. Then there are those that think just because they were born in NC they have the same skills as Richard Petty. Well, they don't. That was the reason for the comment about more rigorous testing for drivers.

Copper

·
Registered
603 Posts
I remember the Montana-bahns,I90 & I15,years back.Reasonable and prudent daytime speed limit.Sailing along in the Camaro at 120mph...and spending a lot of my time in the slow lane.Always something faster approaching rapidly and flashing their headlights.Usually something exotic with out of state plates.Very little traffic and even fewer MSP spotted.Everyone seemed to be very focused on vehicle control and aware of the responsibilty involved.....and the carnage that would result from stupidity at those speeds.Very exhilarating.The average driver scares me in parking lots!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember the Montana-bahns,I90 & I15,years back.Reasonable and prudent daytime speed limit.Sailing along in the Camaro at 120mph...and spending a lot of my time in the slow lane.Always something faster approaching rapidly and flashing their headlights.Usually something exotic with out of state plates.Very little traffic and even fewer MSP spotted.Everyone seemed to be very focused on vehicle control and aware of the responsibilty involved.....and the carnage that would result from stupidity at those speeds.Very exhilarating.The average driver scares me in parking lots!

Years ago I watched with fascination as two cars had the slowest collision I have ever seen. Picture this ... road works with two lanes narrowing down to one. Stop and roll traffic. A car, in the left lane that is disappearing, races to the front of the line as some are wont to do. At the end of the left lane, forced to merge into the right lane, the driver began to try to creep over. The car in front of me was just as determined that the driver in the left lane was not going to merge in front of her. Neither would give, and at maybe 2 miles an hour, they drove into each other, the car in the left lane into the front fender of the car in the right lane.

Now, concrete wall on the right, two cars tangled together in front, and no where to go. After about a minute of them yelling at each other I finally sat on the horn and after about 30 seconds of continuous blowing of the horn they each stormed into their cars, the guy in the left lane backed up a bit to release the car in the right lane, and we proceeded. I made absolutely sure I was stuck to the back of the car in front of me so Mr left lane didn't get any ideas.

But how stupid!

Copper

·
Registered
929 Posts
Texas raises speed limit to 85 mph: Other states could, too

By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

• Texas' new highest-in-the-nation speed limit — 85 mph on a 41-mile stretch of toll road between Austin and San Antonio— could mean that other states will soon see higher speed limits, experts say.
Anyone gonna top this? I love Texas:texas:
Packing my bags now

·
Registered
571 Posts
you guys are still slow:::
I-355 in Illinois 85 in the rt. lane balls out in the left, same goes for I-80, I-57 and the DAN RYAN,
and this is just AM rush hour !!
We have a lack of STATE POLICE due to lack of funding by the govenor

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I thought the 55 limit was repealed, I certainly havent seen a 55 sign anywhere I've been in CA recently except on some largish streets, but certainly not on freeways. BTW I have driven across the plains and based on my experience there is a fair number of drivers who are barely in control of their vehicle while stopped at a stoplight let alone tearing down the highway
If you haven't seen a 55 sign, it's only because you aren't reading the truck speed limit signs.

VA had a super speeder law for a while, but it only applied to VA residents. Eventually got repealed and all fines collected refunded.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I dont even drive that slow and im a grandpa driver!

Our interstates in Kansas I-35, I-435 are 70 mph! I coast at 85 so they keep up! My speedo is 5mph off at 70 mph and up so about 90 is what i do. My grandpa got away going 118mph? (yes my 73 year old grandpa)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hello

Years ago I watched with fascination as two cars had the slowest collision I have ever seen. Picture this ... road works with two lanes narrowing down to one. Stop and roll traffic. A car, in the left lane that is disappearing, races to the front of the line as some are wont to do. At the end of the left lane, forced to merge into the right lane, the driver began to try to creep over. The car in front of me was just as determined that the driver in the left lane was not going to merge in front of her. Neither would give, and at maybe 2 miles an hour, they drove into each other, the car in the left lane into the front fender of the car in the right lane.

Now, concrete wall on the right, two cars tangled together in front, and no where to go. After about a minute of them yelling at each other I finally sat on the horn and after about 30 seconds of continuous blowing of the horn they each stormed into their cars, the guy in the left lane backed up a bit to release the car in the right lane, and we proceeded. I made absolutely sure I was stuck to the back of the car in front of me so Mr left lane didn't get any ideas.

I say no cuts! The dude/chick who thinks they can rush to the front can tangle with my quarter panel, and loose.

·
Senior Member Supporting Member
344 Posts
One of the reason I left Ga. and moved back to Fla. At the time I was there(1991-96), if stopped, a GA. driver had to surrender license until the fine was paid. My wife, on the way to the airport, was stopped on a foggy morning at 5:00 a.m. for 1 month out of date Tag. License held until court opened and she could pay fine. Missed her 7:30 flt. No more that day. Lost appointments all because of overzealous GHP. Life isn't perfect in Fla., but a little more tolerant

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

41/3,233.4=.012

85 mph on 1.2% of texas' 3,233.4 miles of highways is a reason to live in texas? lets not set the bar too high :nanawrench:

All of that said, I certainly wouldnt argue against a raised limit, 70-75 seems pretty pokey now.
Any reason is a good reason to live in Texas. Can't say that about Californicate.. home of more libtards per capita than any place on earth. California is a beautiful state but for the leaders YOU chose.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That's the key right there --- has far less to do with the technology of the car. Drivers in Germany were doing 100+ on the Autobahns back in the 60's and 70's in cars people today say are death traps.

Big problem - people think it's their "damn right" to drive. Absolutely wrong! Having a driver's license is a privilege. I recall someone from Germany telling me what he had to go through to get his driver's license. Was a rather lengthy process, and also very expensive. They take their driving responsibility quite seriously. German auto makers were baffled why we were so fixated on how many cup holders a vehicle had. But not here in America -- answer a few multiple choice questions and show you can parallel park... and you got a license! And now you have all of the automakers putting in so much technogadget junk that makes it even harder for drivers to put their attention on the road.

Don't get me started on the 1 out of 3 clowns on the road texting/tweeting/emailing/whatever while driving. :let_it_all_out:

southern california brains are also water soluable, one drop of rain and most calif drivers brains dissolve and drain out their ears.
Ain't just there. I was saying the same thing here the other day. What is it about rain that makes people stupid? :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts