El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall

I have heard rumors about removing emissions makes you mpg go to crap because the computer controlled carb is sending signals and gets lost and causes bad mpg. Well befor emissions i was getting about 6mpg in my 84. Then w/o emissions about 8. My elco would puff black smoke at start up and on revs, which explains 8. But we messed with the fuel mix screws and now im up to 12 on a good day. People say without emissions the carb goes in full rich mode. Well its not in full rich anymore because it doesnt puff black anymore.

Is this theory true? Or can i get it up?

SPECS: 350( no clue on inside) quad 4-barrel,,TH350, and i think stock 2.41(dont know though)

These specs i should be getting 15 i would think.

Please help guys!! Hard for me to afford these gas prices being 16!

Thanks

Brandon

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If your emissions have been pulled.
If your computer is no longer in use.

Need to get a different carb that is not computer controlled.

Q-Jets are a bit pricey, but I think that is what you will need to do.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the computer tells the carb to lean out without it hooked up the metering rods stay all the way rich,it may not puff black smoke but is still not metering fuel with out everthing hooked up.the dist is at fixed timing in limp home mode.so you have no advance and no fuel control.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks! Yeah i can tell you it is rich, i can smell it. And my pipes look like a diesel...:poke: lol!

12 mpg is suprisingly well for a lost conputer though, thats what i dont understand. You eould think around 8.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
wow, more mpg threads?? really??:poke:
i guess you were naping in math class,,lets see if we can splain it some..:texas:

im averaging here..and i didnt go to calculater collage,,:dontknow: if anyone wants to refigure it??:dontknow:
but it kinda makes sence,, sometimes :secret:

7 months, 28 weeks, 7mpg x 15gal =100mi. a tank a week 15gal x 3.50gal = 1500$
a rebuilt qjet 300$, 1500 / 300 = 5 new carbs.
or
had you fixed it the first week?
15mpg x 100mi. per week = 800$ in your pocket. minus 1 good carb.
if you get 20mpg = 1000$ minus 1 good carb.

:poke:i know this is not going to make sence right away,,
:poke:so take some time and let it soak in,,
:poke:but dont take too long cause gas is going up..

i know what your thinkin.. and no, just board, waitin for the folgers to kick in..:smileyb:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha i havent even spent $1500 in gas! In the last year we have had it!

Understand your piont though. I guess im just confused because a mechanic that has been in buisiness 25+ years basically told me i was full of crap when i said that???? He daid all i need is a rebuild. So JJ this is why this thread has come up again. I am honestly confused. I guess its time for a new quad.

Got price from Mnt. Man and they gave me a price of $205.00 plus shipping so like $235.00

Brandon

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
Brandon, just to clarify, it sounds like you are running the CCC q-jet, but with the connectors unplugged ( or the ECM unpluged). The design of the CCC Q-jet has springs that keep the primary metering rods fully retracted from the jets when it is not getting info from the ECM. No matter what you do with "tuning", the jets will remain fully open all the time. And if you haven't changed your distributor, then you are also not getting any spark advance when you try to accelerate. Combine those two, and you have serious gas mileage problems.

It's all or nothing- replace both the carb and distributor, and you will get better performance. Or, replace the CCC q-jet with a rebuilt CCC Q-jet and use the ECM to control you fuel mixture and you will get better performance and mileage. Or, rebuild your CCC q-jet and use the ECM. Pick one and go.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thanks. I figued the dist would have to go too... Okay i guess thats where my paycheck will go!

Okay i talked to my Dad and he doesnt believe any of this and said not to waste my money. I believe you all but i cant buy anything unless he is convinced. That will be hard....

Brandon

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Personally, I think alot of mechanics out there shouldn't be in that field.

I have an 82 with a 267 V8 (4.4 liter) with a 2 barrel Dualjet CCC carb that was connected to ECM computer. In process of removing all of that. Got a rebuilt / non ECM / Dualjet from Mountain Man, had an extra HEI Accel distributor.

So all that emissions stuff will be gone once I'm done. I hope it just runs good, not too concerned about MPG, though the way things are going... it will be tough when gas gets to $8/gal.

Does your state require emissions testing for your age vehicle?

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
Over 20,000 Elky owners use this site for info / help. We won't steer you wrong. If anything, we try our best to minimize your costs while maximizing your experience of owning an Elky. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dont worry i trust you all! Great buch of people!!! Just needed a second opinion!

Well talked to my Dad and he doesnt care if i get a new carb, he just doesnt want me spending too much on one. So i guess im 1/2 way to the "okay" just need to find a deal now....

Brandon

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
A rebuilt quadrajet from Mountain Man will pay for itself in a few months on saving $$ on gas !!
I think mine has already paid for it !! With getting twice the MPG's from my edelbrock 600 !! From Tank of gas a week to a tank of gas every other week !!:dontknow:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Looks like 2 choices.... depending on Kansas requirements for emissions

put a rebuilt CCC, computer controlled carb and insure that all the rest of the ECM system is functioning properly (lot of sensors and vacuum hoses, plus the air pump)

put a rebuilt non-ecm quadrajet in and a non-ecm HEI distributor and either leave the air pump or it can be removed and engine bay gets cleaned up a bit.

I think I've seen folks buying a rebuilt non-computer Q-jet from Mountain Man for around $200 plus shipping. You can get a new HEI distributor from JEGS for under $200.

If you go evil bay or craigslist it could be much cheaper. I just always wonder what problems the seller had that you might find out about the hard way.

Perhaps someone on this forum has some spare parts for a good price... :smileyb:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i wont be gettin any $200 distributor! I willbtry to find either a good conditioned used one or an on sale one

1 - 20 of 35 Posts