El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after close to twenty years in automotive shops, i like to think i know a lot of little tricks
(even came up with some of them on my own). anyways, today i was changing the motor in a 95 blazer, nothing big, but every one of these i have worked on there is that one bellhousing bolt you cant get anything on,(you know the one, the left middle one)on my own blazers i take a peice of pipe and my five pound shop hammer and make a little clearance. but on a customers ride i try to have a little more respect. so after 45 minutes of cussing and throwing every wobbly socket and prybar i could find at it, this punk kid comes up(every shops got one)says take a break ill get it..... hehehe.... now im usually the guy that comes up and shows "The Easy Way", anyways i went and got a bottle of water and sat back and smirked at this kid coming up to show me how to do my job(he's just barely drinking age). i had the motor mount bolts and all the bell bolts out but the one. This kid starts taking loose the trans mount and i almost stopped him but wanted to see where he thought he was going with it anyways then he takes the base off the trans jack(to where there was just the ram) puts it on the passenger manifold and starts jacking it up.Im almost in tears. then the little prick reached up puts a socket on the bolt and takes it out!. anyways im gonna buy junior a beer next time i see him at the local watering hole. I sure was hoping to see him break something though. Never stop learning new ways to look at the same old problems...............

· ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
after close to twenty years in automotive shops, i like to think i know a lot of little tricks
(even came up with some of them on my own). anyways, today i was changing the motor in a 95 blazer, nothing big, but every one of these i have worked on there is that one bellhousing bolt you cant get anything on,(you know the one, the left middle one)on my own blazers i take a peice of pipe and my five pound shop hammer and make a little clearance. but on a customers ride i try to have a little more respect. so after 45 minutes of cussing and throwing every wobbly socket and prybar i could find at it, this punk kid comes up(every shops got one)says take a break ill get it..... hehehe.... now im usually the guy that comes up and shows "The Easy Way", anyways i went and got a bottle of water and sat back and smirked at this kid coming up to show me how to do my job(he's just barely drinking age). i had the motor mount bolts and all the bell bolts out but the one. This kid starts taking loose the trans mount and i almost stopped him but wanted to see where he thought he was going with it anyways then he takes the base off the trans jack(to where there was just the ram) puts it on the passenger manifold and starts jacking it up.Im almost in tears. then the little prick reached up puts a socket on the bolt and takes it out!. anyways im gonna buy junior a beer next time i see him at the local watering hole. I sure was hoping to see him break something though. Never stop learning new ways to look at the same old problems...............

That's funnier than hell. I been in electrical parts for thirty years and G.E. has a relay that you can hold in your hand and there's a coil that you can take out to put a different voltage in. Twenty years I cringed every time I had to change one. So like you one day I was in the warehouse and the kid in the back was pulling one of the units off the shelf so I watched waiting for him to ask for help. He took a finger on both sides and pushed down on the coil and out it came with no effort. I could have cried I bet over the years I did a couple of hundred of them at least twenty min. each cussing the whole way. What I did was walk up and asked how did you do that and left it at that.
I have learned the hard way long enough over the years that I will even stop at a gas station and ask directions with a woman in the truck.:beer:

· Premium Member
12,604 Posts
O.K.,
That stupid left side last 2 rear plugs. I always fight those even though on here I've seen people say get them through the wheel well. Well guess what? I was at my buddies shop reaching over the fender and he pushes out of the way (sort of) and through the whell well he goes. 2 seconds he's done!!!:let_it_all_out:
You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink, (unless you show him how stupid it is to be thirsty!!!)
No point to life if you can't learn something!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

· ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
O.K.,
That stupid left side last 2 rear plugs. I always fight those even though on here I've seen people say get them through the wheel well. Well guess what? I was at my buddies shop reaching over the fender and he pushes out of the way (sort of) and through the whell well he goes. 2 seconds he's done!!!:let_it_all_out:
You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink, (unless you show him how stupid it is to be thirsty!!!)
No point to life if you can't learn something!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

Took me many tune- ups paying the shop till I came here and a little piece of hose and take off the tire and it's out.:You_Rock:

· Registered
4,280 Posts
I,ve been that little prick several times years ago,free beer is cool, being cussed out for almost effortlessly doing something someone else apparently couldn't do isn't. That being said, I,ve picked up a few things from rent-a-bums, lazy people, & women. Guess it all evens out.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
In the Navy, one guy was always complaining that the XO gave him every dirty job on the ship. I finally asked the XO why it was.

"He's the laziest SOB on the ship, and he'll always find the easiest way to do any new job," was his answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.