El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

Ok.. I am having an issue with a ghost in the carb... I have the edelbrock 1406, brand new only 3 - 4 months old and no internals changed... it's on the edelbrock torker 2 intake... when i first fire up the elky, she runs good... after she gets warmed up she runs really rich... anyone know how to adjust or what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same carb but have had no issues (got it 12 years ago). Nothing really to adjust on them though (internally). Get a kit from Jegs or Summit (several different ones depending on what you want to do, I think). I also seem to remember a book or booklet on tuning these carbs. Overall, a great carb and I guess I was lucky with mine right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
What fuel pump is on the engine ? Edelbrock carbs don't like more than 5 PSI fuel pressure. Also, the float level may be too high. Even new parts can be off a bit on adjustments. It runs good when cold because a rich mixture is what it wants until it's warmed up, then that mixture is too rich. Normally, the choke supplies the rich mixture until it opens during warm-up.
They must have made a gazillion of those carbs, so a problem with one is very possible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my issue isn't the carb, I am thinking its the carb / intake combo... The torker 2 is more for high end applications, and the combo is doing what it is supposed to... I need the performer series intake for idle to 5500 rpm...
I am loosing vaccum while at idle and in gear when it gets warm, but around 2k and higher rpm's it does fantastic...no leaks of any kind... and a/f ratio screws aren't really making a difference when adjusted...
:dontknow:
So after searching the edelbrock site for hours, and doing too many math problems for a saturday night, I have come to that conclusion...lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well after lots of tinkering and adjusting, readjusting, and some more readjusting... I have come to the final conclusion that my car does not like the edelbrock carb...lol

So if anyone knows or has a holley avenger 550cfm - 650cfm carb for sale that is in bolt on and go condition, plz drop me a pm and lets chat..

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
hey Jerad just noticed your in pasa getdown dena..:texas:

as said check the float level, fuel pressure,, if there not right?? (vac leaks too,,retorq the intake/carb)
sometimes it'll cause you to have to increase the idle setting making the mixture screws not work..

did you change the distributer to a non computer/vacuum advance,,and check the curve??
timing will have a effect on idle vacuum,, and make the carb act lazy..

i wouldnt change the intake yet,,you might see a couple more ftlb of torq,,
but it'll run good enough,,you might want to grow into it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts