El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been intending on writing this up for some time.

My friend Jeff of course loved the story when we showed it to him and he wrote it up for me, so I'll link that here.

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/tech-articles/how-to-tips/gimme-a-boost-how-to-build-an-inexpensive-power-brake-vacuum-booster/

There are a few things that have changed since this article, we did finally add this setup to my car and I plumbed it the same way as we did Doug's as opposed to the way I had originally intended. Also we learned that the horizontal mounting of the pump that we used on Doug's car was noisy, the pump likes to be hung vertical, so I did a different bracket for my application, we've since updated Doug's car as well to this bracket design and his is very quiet.

The problem we were having is mentioned in Jeff's article, essentially insufficient manifold vacuum to properly actuate our power brakes. The other problem was if you've ever heard aftermarket vacuum pumps for brakes you know how effing loud they are, I'm not in the least bit interested in s pump that's louder than my engine.

It occurred to me that all these electric cars on the road had to have some sort of vacuum source for their brakes, I came across the Cadillac pump on a site that deals in conversions. My thought was an OEM solution would have to be quiet and durable. Thus the Hella pump.

I'm not going to re-write Jeff's article, below is what my assembly ended up looking like, a lot more compact than the one we installed for Doug, like I mentioned above, we have already changed Doug's assembly out to match this one.

^^^^My booster assembly^^^^^

vvvvv Doug's Original installed vvvv

·
Registered
774 Posts
Awesome! I'm looking at the crate 350/290hp, which supposedly makes lousy vacuum at idle. I'll definitely be looking into this! Thanks!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts