El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the old Corvette Ram-Jet Fuel Injection. GM now sells a Ram-Jet unit that will work on my Vortec Heads.

Know anyone running Ram-Jet fuel injection in an Elky/GMC?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Of course the original Ram-Jet was mechanical while the new one is electronic, but it certainly has the right look. And EFI is better anyway.

I'm not running one yet, but I am seriously considering getting the Ram-Jet 350 crate engine GM sells (a nice midrange 350HP), which has the Vortec heads as part of the package. My understanding is that it's a good drop-in for almost any car not subject to 'original equipment' physical emissions inspections since the EFI computer is on the engine (just add fuel and 12V). What little I've heard has been good. It's not really a race-on-the-weekend engine, but if you want something that runs like a new EFI engine and has enough performance and ambiance to make a good weekend cruiser it should do the trick.

Car Craft did an install of the crate engine. Their article on it is here http://www.carcraft.com/howto/56398/ . They put it in a '65 Impala.

(Of course, theres also now a big-block 502 version (510 HP) :evil: , but it doesn't look at all like the old Ram-Jet...)

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking forward to having to modify the fuel tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"To boldly go where we never should have been in the first place..."

Yeah, that part is bothersome. It looks straightforwards enough from the CC article, but still a pain.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elky72ss454,
I hit your website. It looks great! I'm looking at the small block version. It's a different plenum design.
Thanks,
-dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
:D Yes I know, I was just answering your question :D The new ram jet for small blocks is awesome too. Can't beat fuel injection in my opinion. I'll never go back to carbs...way too much trouble. The only way I can run a BBC with as much HP and torque as mine and be so streetable is with fuel injection. This motor would be trouble with a carb not to mention the gas it would guzzle. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts