El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the info on how to order the GM Restoration Packet for any particular year and model El Camino?

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Peter. I'll see what they have to say about 1987 El Caminos.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just a quick heads up for everyone out there who also owns a 1970 El Camino.... I called the GM hotline for the Restoration Pacakage and they advised me that they do not have a package for the 1970 El Camino's yet. They did however put in a request for them to do 1970 Elky's though which I thought was very nice of the lady who was on the phone.

Also, they can do restoration packages for other Chevy cars too, not only Chevy trucks. Just food for thought for those of you with other GM and Chevy toys.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Had to try the link and phone number. Got lucky, at first, the guy I talked to could not find a listing for 1972 El Camino Restoration Package. He thought that was wrong, so he did some further checking while I waited. After about 10 minutes, he found it. It is being sent out. Not exactly sure what will show up. I was told to wait about 6-8 weeks. Also, got a case number to call back after a couple of months, if nothing shows up.
Sidenote to Brian: maybe the lady you talked to who did not find any package for your year, might not have dug deep enough. I would suggest calling back and seeing if someone else can come up with the proper package to order.

I'll keep this forum updated when it actually shows up.

Jay

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also ordered yesterday. Had to hold for about 15 minutes, but everything else went like clockwork. Will let everyone know when the '87 package arrives and what it contains.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Jay,

the lady I spoke to said she was able to find 1969 and 1971 but no 1970 listing for the restoration packages. Like you said, maybe she just didnt dig deep enough. I will try to call them back again when I get a free chance. Right now I am working in my garage. I was checking the tire pressures in the elky yesterday when I started hearing a strange noise coming from the air compressor. At that time I was about 5 ft. away from it. I ran over to shut it off in time for the compressor to blow apart. Fortunately, I was not hurt and thankfully the plastic covering of the compressor kept 90% of all of the shrapnel inside the cover. Too bad for me, the connecting rod, compressor casing, piston, rings, and eveyrthing else except for the motor went or broke. Motor is still good but Sears/Crafstman only sells the motor with the mounting bracket for the compressor on it, so I need to get a whole new motor with it. Ended up getting a new complete air compressor cylinder and motor belt drive from the Home Depot. One day downtime but back up and running today.

I will keep everyone here posted as to what I find out when I call back the GM hotline.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Brian,
Good thing you did not get hurt when the compressor blew up. You might want to check with Sears if there was a recall on your compressor. I would ask to see the Sears store manager, tell him your story, of course tell him how much you love Sears, and see if he / she can find out if there is a recall on your model. You never know, they might do something for you.

Jay

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian,
Really glad you were not hurt. Also glad the Elky didn't take a hit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank you all for your concern. Fortunately, the elky was in the garage and the compressor was inside our wooden shed. The only thing that would have gotten damaged was quarts of oil, the spare bias ply tire and matching rim for the elky and my summer rims and tires for my 97 Dodge Ram 4x4.

I do plan on writing a letter to Sears complaining about it, and also that the unit is only used about once a week for not that long of a time while I am working on the cars. The tank was date coded 1998 and we are trying to find the receipt of when we bought it. Im almost sure that Sears will not do anything but it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
174 Posts
UPDATE from Craftsman air compressor explosion

Hi all,

Finally heard news from the Store Mgr. at Sears. First he told me that since it was out of warranty and that I did not seriously get hurt, I was pretty much SOL. He was also very rude and didnt seem to care about my well being. After this conversation, I considered calling the main office for SEARS.

The next day, I got a call again from the Store Mgr. at Sears. He said he brought the broken pieces that I took to Sears over to their service dept and they looked at it saying that it appeared that the cylinder wall was scored and that I did not take care of the unit. At this I told him that when the thing exploded, the connecting rod was still rotating about a good 10-20 cycles before I could shut it off which is why the cylinder wall was scored severely. He also said that my 22 gal. 5 hp compressor was overly used by using it once a week to once every other week. :lol: What did I buy a compressor for?? To dress up the inside of my garage for looks??? :lol:

Anyway, the long of the short of it was I got a $100 gift certificate for my trouble of reporting this and for my loss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
go GM

I called and placed an order for the GM Restoration packet on 4/28 well its to bad if you have a 79 elky they dont have model speciffic restoration packets but they do have one for all 79 chevys. Or so the guy told me that this one would help. I told him to send it anyway, hell its free, well it came today and guess what its only for the Impala and the Caprice Classic in 79, will this help or do I need to call and ask for something else.

Oh buy the way I dont own a 79 Impala or Caprice...

Thanks
ga79elky

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did receive my '87 Elky packet. It sounds to me like it mostly depends on who answers the phone when you want to order one of these packets. It doesn't make a lot of sense for 1970 and 1979 (the two years I've heard about), not having a packet, while other years, with practically the same make-up, being available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I just called the line and suposedly have a GM Restoration Packet for a 79 El Camino on the way. The guy I spoke with said that the 79 model was not all that rare and that I should receive their packet within 2-4 weeks. He also said that if there was anything that wasn't in the packet that I needed, I could call Bischko Books (makers of former GM Vehicular manuals) at 440-338-4811 and I could get (for a price) older model vehicle manuals.

I guess I'll see after 4 weeks or so...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, Just got my restoration packet yesterday. Nice that it came via UPS ground, so it didnt take long getting here. Unfortunate that I received the Impala and the Caprice Classic for 79, just like ga79elky did.

Oh well lots of useful stuff!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts