El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1983 GMC Caballero
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I picked up a 1983 GMC Caballero a few weeks back.

I was browsing the forums and saw someone mention that knowledge about these Elky/Caballero's is out there but can be hard to find in a single location.
I thought it might be a good idea to pick up a manual for the truck since I know I'll be needing to work on a laundry list of small things at the very least.

I purchased a Haynes manual but after looking on eBay came across something neat.
I was able to pick up an original 1983 GMC Caballero Service Manual:
Tin Font Rectangle Material property Gas

As well as a set of 4 1983 GMC Trucks shop manuals:
Rectangle Font Red Material property Handwriting

As soon as I opened the box my living room smelled like a shop. These have definitely been sitting on a shelf in some shop somewhere for the past 40 years.

Between the Haynes Manual, the original service manual, and these shop manuals I think I should be covered.
Thought I'd share!

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,309 Posts
Those shop manuals are worth their weight in gold. Most shops will hold onto that stuff forever because even they know just how hard they are to replace and contain info that's not on the web.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Factory shop manuals are the only way to go.
Good Find!
There should also be an electrical troubleshooting manual that is available, I know I have one for my 84.
I would recommend getting that one also. Much valuable info in it!
El Camino/Caballero are the same.
Just be careful of the spine. I have bent mine back so many times just to make copies of pages on my scanner to help people out that the spine is getting weak and had to repair the manual.
FYI: many of the Elky restoration places have the manuals available in an electronic format.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good deal!
It looks to be in excellent condition. This is a good manual to have.
This manual is very good when dealing with the cars electrical. It has schematics of the individual circuits themselves plus some basic troubleshooting for the circuit.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,728 Posts
Jason , You are smart to get these manuals . So much great info in one place . Every owner would benefit from having them . As Karadjgne and Vinny D said , they are worth their weight in gold . Most owners do not have one and another book that can be valuable is entitled Chevrolet Interchangeable Parts Catalog . Many of the parts from other like year/ models will interchange with the El Camino . After I was told about it`s availability by Steve Sanders , I purchased one for my recently acquired 59 .

Reactions: pbr400

·
Registered
1983 GMC Caballero
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info! Thanks.

Sadly the Chevrolet Interchangeable Parts Catalog is not as affordable as the other manuals I've picked up so far.
It's ~$200 on eBay at the moment. I'll keep my eye out and hopefully find a better deal on it in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All the hits I am finding for these model numbers are for 1982 or earlier.

Do you happen to have a link to one? So I know what to keep an eye out for.
Thanks
this one is a bit pricy but shows that it does exist with a bit of searching might be able to find it cheaper

78-83 a little bit less

more reasonable price (but out of stock)

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,728 Posts
Holly cow . $ 200 for the Chevrolet Interchangeable Parts Catalog is a bit much . Don`t remember how much I paid but it was not that much . Maybe you will find one at a decent price . In the meantime , should you need or want to borrow it , I will be glad to send the book to you in the mail .

·
Registered
1983 GMC Caballero
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up some more Caballero paraphernalia off eBay!
Each one was $10-15 shipped.

(3x) 83 Job tough light & medium duty GMC Trucks brochures:
Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades Signage

With blurbs on the Full-size Wideside and Fenderside, Full-size 4-WD Pickup and Jimmy, Suburban, S-15 Pickup, NEW S-15 Jimmy, the Caballero, and vans.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

A single 1983 GMC Caballero full size brochure:
Car Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

Featuring the Diablo, Amarillo, and Caballero:
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Newspaper

Not manuals but I thought they were well worth it.
If/when I start taking my Caballero to local car shows it would be nice to have some of these old brochures.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,309 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words, but an original document is worth a thousand pictures. I'd much rather have/see those original brochures than something printed out from Wiki/Google. If I went to a museum, I would want to see the Mona Lisa, not a photocopied poster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts