El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks I am new to this forum stuff so bare with me. I just acquired a 1971 El Camino it's a true SS 454 4 gear car. I want to restore it over the winter and looking at the metal plate under the hood this was a burgundy color with a white vinyl top. I am assuming a white interior as well. What's the thoughts out there should I go with the original or paint it with a another color that is more popular. The car will go up for sale when I'm finished. It's all numbers matching and I guess I'm asking if not in the original color does it take a significant loss of value to the car?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The stock answer is to paint it the color that you like. Which color code do you consider burgundy? Burnt Orange (62)?

If you restore the truck to showroom condition (since it is matching numbers), then I would say that the original paint color is the way to go. If you're just restoring it to be a nice looking matching numbers driver, then a more popular color (if you can determine what that is) may be the way to go.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
The stock answer is to paint it the color that you like. Which color code do you consider burgundy? Burnt Orange (62)?

If you restore the truck to showroom condition (since it is matching numbers), then I would say that the original paint color is the way to go. If you're just restoring it to be a nice looking matching numbers driver, then a more popular color (if you can determine what that is) may be the way to go.

Greg
Hi Terry, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. X2 on what Greg suggested. Good advice.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Most people seem to like black interior with silver or red paint. I always liked that Royal Plum that they used on the 67s...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. My EC came from the factory with a white vinyl top according to the factory order sheet and somewhere along the way it was changed to black which looks better to me.

As you are restoring your truck for a sale, I would put the factory paint and vinyl top back on. As it is a numbers matching truck, it will most likely increase the sale value.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
terry j

Thanks to all that responded and the friendly welcome. Paint code is 67 which turns out to be a copper color The "A" that follows is a white vinyl top. Is there a code for the interior? ..............Terry j

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,563 Posts
If your primary goal is to sell the Camino , I would agree with others , that the factory color would be best or even resale red . Since the factory color was burgundy , why not stop into a store that supplies materials to auto paint shops . They will be happy to let you look through several of their thick books with sooo many fabulous colors , including different shades of burgundy . Go during a day when they are not their busiest and take the books outside in the light and not under their fluorescent lights . If you will keep the Camino for yourself , why not find something that looks great , stands out and not bizarre . Look through the new calendars for sale here at ECC and others` garage for some great ideas . Life is too short to listen to bad music or drive a car with ugly paint .

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Len is right! Always look at colors outside. I had my wheels painted what I though was a dark grey silver 1970s GM color, turns out it had green in it.. Yuk.. He re-painted them Argent silver and I quit trying to be different and clever haha..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts