El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm taking out my tired 305 this week in favor of a 350 Crate Motor. Lately I've noticed that my original springs are really sagging and I decided to order some new ones. My dad and I are doing the swap and our concern now is that we need springs for a 350 El Camino as opposed to a 305, so we ordered a set of Diesel 350 El Camino springs. Will these be okay? I know I should have asked earlier, but I haven't had a chance. We're getting these through Kragen, so it's not a matter of life or death, but I just wanted to be sure before we install them. Thanks!
-Kris

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The diesel springs will be too much for you. I had a set in mine and with the LT1 (a 350 motor) the ride almost rattled my fillings loose. There was almost no travel on the suspension because they were so stiff. Get the stock springs. I went with the Eibach Pro Kit springs to drop my Elky down a little. I have a way better ride now then with the diesel ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crap...

Well, we couldn't get springs for a gas 350. That was the problem since no G-bodies came with a regular 350 as far as I know. Hopefully I can cancel the order. I don't want to get Eibachs since I already have a 2" drop from my Bell Tech spindles. Any other alternatives? Thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
481 Posts
'84ElCaminoSS just get the 305 springs and use those they will work just fine. I really don't think there is that much of a difference in the weight of a 305 vs. 350.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Since your getting twenty back you might as well go ahead and use it to rent a spring compressor, it'll make your live a whole lot easier when you go to replace those springs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well actually,

Actually, I am taking it in tomorrow or Thursday to have the ball joints replaced and the springs installed. During that time, my dad and I will be putting the headers, intake, etc. on the new motor.
-Kris

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but in the engine swaps i have done i have found it a WHOLE lot easier to drop the motor in with out the headers on it, you don't have to worry bout scratching them up and you'll have a lot more room to get the motor in.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
camino81 said:
Just my 2 cents, but in the engine swaps i have done i have found it a WHOLE lot easier to drop the motor in with out the headers on it, you don't have to worry bout scratching them up and you'll have a lot more room to get the motor in.
I agree %100!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The motor went in WITH the headers on it without any problems and no scratches. No all I have left to do is attach all the smog stuff :( and the various A/C components and I'm good to go...
-Kris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hehe, don't know yet. Hopefully the old springs will be enough to get to to the shop (2 miles away.) It's currently still on the jack stands. I should be letting it down tonight though, so I'll let you know.
-Kris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts