El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D :D :D Well I think its finnaly time to see what this thing can do.
I'm not expecting much, but I want it to be faster than my 69 was.

So this friday, a couple friends and I are gonna hit the local track for the Test & Tune events... Should be able to get 3 or 4 runs in.

350 (~300hp supposedly- Probably more like 250hp)
TH350 w/ Kit stock stall
2 1/2" X-Pipe exhaust w/ Dumps after the mufflers
3.73 posi
Brand new all Poly Rear bushings and tubular arms w/ swaybar
Air lift air bags

My 69, with nearly the same setup, except 3.42 gears, and no x-over exhaust, ran a best of 15.2.
I'm hoping with the 3.73 gears and some of the other goodies this one will push into the high 14s

This winter the engine will be replaced with something with more kick, but for now, I just want to see what she'll do.

When I raced the 69, I only got a couple runs in. Each time I powerbraked it up to about 1000-1500rpm and launched from that... Since then i have heard several racers tell me it would be better on a stockish engine to launch from idle... So I'm gonna try to do each way on different runs and see what works best. :) Should be a blast! 8)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, It was mega fun, although I am a little disapointed- out of 6 runs, my best of the night was 15.63. Here is the best time sheet of the night:

R/T - .608
60' - 2.177
330 - 6.373
1/8 - 9.927
MPH - 68.72
1000 - 13.018
1/4 - 15.636
MPH - 86.11

I played with different launches, and ammounts of air in my rear air bags.
1st couple runs, i had 20 lbs in the pass side air bag, 15lbs in drv- Launched at 1500rpm... ran a 15.9 :?
Second one, i let the air out of the bags, back down to 10pass/5drv- Ran a 15.8 launching at 2000rpm.

Then i tried launching from idle- Dropped to 15.6- Played with timing and stuff and stayed at 15.6 for the last few runs.

Wheels were spinning a little, but not much- Mostly it was just giving up on the high end....

Guess its time to finnaly swap in a decent cam :)

Anyway, even though i didn't get the times i was hoping for, it was still a blast- and i recommend ANYBODY who likes fast cars, take a trip to your local track and run your car on one of the test and tune nights- Its an experience you won't soon forget! :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
any other elk's running?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Next time put the air bags all the way up. This will help with weight transfer. A lowered vehical almost always has traction problems Also drop the air in your tires. In my Camaro on street tires I got my best times with about 22psi in the rear. You can also take the fronts up in psi, this will give you less drag.

The first time at the track with a car is always interesting.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
AHSOM70

The good part is getting out and having fun! Did I ever tell you that you truck is really nice! Not bad times considering the weight and hp. It looked like you were on the right track with the Air Bags. Mine say 10/30 for launching but that is generic and a suggestion.

I got off the main line roads once and wanted to see what 0-60 times were and tried to get a really good start. My 2.73:1 gears in my 76 just pissed me off. It launched pretty good (considering) in first and I lost it all in 2nd. It was imbarrassing! Good thing no one was there to see it. :oops: I got to get some better gears in the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts