El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a little overhaul to a mildly built chevy 350 that's sat in storage quite some time. I primed the oil system, lubed the cylinders and it turned over freely with no issues. It's now been taken apart down to the shortblock. Just as I thought it's bored 30 over. It's a 70's block 2 piece rear main seal. I'm in need of a complete gasket/seal kit for it. Do I need different head gaskets for a block that's .030 over? It had all gm style cork gaskets when I pulled it apart, if there's an improved gasket kit that would be great, but I will settle for anything decent. Thanks ECC! I'll post some pictures up when I get the chance, it a really nice build with some really nice parts.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Check out Summit Racing or Jeg's for their rebuild sets. There are many brands and price ranges to choose from. All feature perma-torque head gaskets, which are pretty much standard. Fel-Pro is more high end and costly, but Sealed Power has a set more budget oriented. Both have a tech line as well to help you with your selection. A mildly built engine with pump gas compression can pretty much be sealed with any gasket set.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
buy the felpro one piece silicone pan gasket. the standard gasket should be fine up to .080 bore. my personal favorite head gasket is the felpro #1004 .if you use cork valve cover gaskets use the thick ones. glue them to the covers only and make sure the head is clean and free of all oil. the general rule of thumb is if there is oil on the gasket oil will get past it

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mike have you figgered out your compression ratio yet?? :wink2:
No sir I have not. All I know is it has flattops and 70' vette heads that have some port and polish work. I went with this kit http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/2802/10002/-1, it has .041" thickness head gaskets. I took a micrometer to some uncompressed pieces of the original head gaskets and came up with roughly that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts