El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just swapped out my Eddy 650 for a rebuilt Q-Jet. Had to modify the linkage a little, but Hot Rod Todd (local Dallas carb guy) did a great job of accomodating my Jegs throttle link and getting my Lokar downshift cable hooked up.

A little fine tuning and I was ready to go.....

I'm impressed with the response on the Q-jet and hoping to see a little improvement in MPG. Even if I don't see better mileage, I think I'm gonna like how the q-jet performs.

Next project - a higher stall torque converter has been recommended - and probably a good idea.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Thats funny, you were going after MPG and you gained HP as well!!!! SCORRRRED!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...It seams to me,that ever since Vic took over the rights to Carter's avs/afb's they been nothing but crap. Yeah,there easy to work on,and yeah,chevy did put them on a few engines.I just feel that the Carter AFB's belong on MoPoop, Motorcrap to turd's and keep the Rottonchester with G.M. Now,a Holley..???..well,we all know how they perform..:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
you ALWAYS gain hp when you put a edelbrock in its place( DUMPSTER )
i have run all types of carbs and have never had one that will perform better than my SMI STAGE 2 750 (for $20 ill tell ya what it really flows:poke:):beer::You_Rock::texas:

·
0 Posts
you ALWAYS gain hp when you put a edelbrock in its place( DUMPSTER )
i have run all types of carbs and have never had one that will perform better than my SMI STAGE 2 750 (for $20 ill tell ya what it really flows:poke:):beer::You_Rock::texas:
You getting like 300-400 cfm's on the primaries right?:poke:
Qjet's are the best to me since thats what I was raised on..
Enjoy the new carb and post pics JPM!

·
0 Posts
Don't know the CFM from primaries.

No pics - you seen one q-jet you've seen them all. Not all shiny like the edelbrock, but runs good.
You know the saying,"No pics,it never happened". Mines not shiny either but the Qjet is all that matters....:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
You getting like 300-400 cfm's on the primaries right?:poke:
Qjet's are the best to me since thats what I was raised on..
Enjoy the new carb and post pics JPM!
more like 275 at the most on the primaries, now as for the rest of the setup, only myself and minorider tim know and he aint talking either so....:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Maybe the Q-jet isn't shiny, but shiny doesn't cut it. The Edlebrocks a are mass-produced ( they are everywhere) , so maybe the quality control didn't come along with the rights to build a Carter copy. I used the Carter AFB carbs in the 60s, and they were a great carb.
No way to beat a good Q-jet these days though it seems, for an every day carb...

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm very happy with the streetability of this carb. It does have a seriously low idle, with a lope ( so dud the edelbrock) that I just found out more about.

My local carb guy suggested I needed to change out my torque converter, and identified a TCI unit that would go with my powerglide. In the meantime, he found a thread somewhere that talked about a GM 350/290hp cam mismatch.... that GM put a little too agressive cam in that motor given its low compression ratio, like 8 - 1 or 8.25 - 1, can't remember.

So while it idles very low, it isn't stalling out.... my piggy bank is building up again for the TCI converter now -

NEVER ENDING, HUH? :inlove:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts