El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ok so one cylinder head is giving me problems, it's burning up the spark plug, and it looks like the valve for that cylinder is stuck, took it to a mechanic and they told me the valve spring is bad, and the cylinder was fouling the spark plug with oil, possibly meaning a leak of some kind due to the head? In any case, I wanted to replace the heads but I can NOT find a manual anywhere for my engine and these mechanics are just too expensive for me, so I figured it was a easy, yet tedious, job after doing some research. But before I started buying heads I need to know which ones I need to get. I honestly just want direct replacements so I'm looking to see if any of you guys know how I could get a service manual for a goodwrench 350 crate engine. Also I am aware that there are a couple different goodwrench 350's, is there a part number located anywhere on the engine or does that not matter. This will be my first time replacing heads. Don't see how hard it could be as long as I have some sort of guide. Thanks

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
welcome D
replace the valve spring,, it can be done with the heads on..
find a machine shop,, they will probly give you some stock springs..
they may have rebuilt heads also..

if the valve is stuck?? or bent?? then it will have to come apart..

take the valve cover off and look on top of the head get the casting number,
that will tell you what heads you have.

go here for service manual. http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

check out some of the how to rebuild small block chevs books.. :texas:

Ed is right, stop running it till its fixed..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edonthebeach and jjlt1, yeah that is exactly what the mechanics said to me so that is what I have done. See I also thought to just replace the valve spring but the mechanics also said that that might not be the only thing wrong on that cylinder head. but I will look into getting them rebuilt and thanks a lot for the link. not planning on driving it until it is fixed completely. thanks

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Are you wanting heads or a GM Goodwrench 350 motor??? :dontknow: What size motor do you have now? Needing 305, 267 or 350 heads? :poke:

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Where you at in OK? I might have some cores, or if close enough, I have a good machine shop guy here in Moore. Burt at Moore machine does great work and prices are fair. I am happy to pay him a tad more than the guys downtown OKC at Juan and Jose's macheen chop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hotrod pc, i need heads for the goodwrench 350 and I am located in Tulsa. But you say that there is a good machine shop in Moore, huh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts