El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012-08-03 06.32.43-1.jpg

2012-08-03 06.32.31-1.jpg

2012-08-03 06.32.18-1.jpg If any of you 5th gen owners evr wondered what your elky would look like if it was covered with trash truck hydraulic fluid.. let me show you. On my way to work yesterday morning @ 5:15, I was following an 18 wheeler in the inside lane. We are on I-10 at Mason, for those in Houston. I passed him on the right hand lane, in that lane was a trash truck, so I was passing it in the next lane to the right and as I pulled next to it , one of the trucks hydraulic lines was shooting hyd fluid and I didn't know until it was too late. I had to pull over with zero visibility and hope there were no cars on the shoulder. It took me 10 mins with a towel and simple green to get the windshield clean enough to make it to a car wash. I had just bought degreaser the night before so I used that to clean my cruck. The hood still only had the EPDM factory coating but either the hyd fluid or the degreaser took most of it off. It could have been a lot worse. No people, only my hood , suffered any damages.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Uck, what a mess!!!!!!!:let_it_all_out:
Note to self, steer clear of trash trucks!!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uck, what a mess!!!!!!!:let_it_all_out:
Note to self, steer clear of trash trucks!!!!:poke:
Donny
DDD, you're right, and I always do. That's why I was passing it. At first I thought it was just the dirty water from the trash on board. When I tried my wipers was when I realized what it was. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get I clean. And 20$ at the car wash. Not to mention that all the hours on Friday are overtime at work!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Mike, glad you and you El Camino are okay! I'll bet you used some colorful language during that 1 1/2 hour clean-up!!:poke:

Doug

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You sure that was hydraulic fluid? If it's as black as it looks in the photos, it was engine oil. If it was blowing that much oil, the next thing to fly out would be piston rods!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Hey! It's about time you washed that thang. SF:poke:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Hey Jarhead,
First,glad you and the Elkie made it through that without an accident!
Second it looks like something the low rider crowd would do by shooting paint through lace. A body guy would have to work real hard to duplicate that look its very aerodynamic looking.:wow:
Ang.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
If you need a quick temporary diy coating for the hood ( which you do) , spray flat black rust-oleum or even better, black rust oleum Hammerite( has slight charcoal tint) would be as good as any. you could mostly close the hood on old blankets or tarps draped over nose & fenders & another over windshield to not have to tape things up.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Donnie, I never saw the company name. I didn't expect to be slimed so the name on the truck wasn't in my line of sight.. yes it was hyd fluid since it was shooting sideways from the mid section of the truck. .. @Locknut, I wash my car every 3rd day. The paint may suck but it still needs to be clean. As far as the aerodynamic aspect.. it was pretty slick so I imagine the drag coefficent was greatly enhanced. For the paint, it's going to the shop right after labor day to have the hood painted a satin black and some body alignment done... hopefully! Thanks for the concerns. If you've ever had a hood fly up on you at 75 mph and both side windows have curtains on them.. that's exactly what it was like. I've been thru that before, except for the curtains, so there was no panic. You have to keep calm, make sure you're prayed up, and do what 35 years of driving has prepared you for. GIT r DONE.. hehe.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
In 09' ,I had the upper portion of my Harwood fiberglass hood rattle a few seconds & fly straight up in the air going down I-95 one morning to a side job. Separated from lower section. It landed sideways on the concrete dividers between 6 lanes of traffic.:wow: As you've noticed, I,ve nicely rebuilt it with a few new sections & lower assembly, no more cheap peanut butter glue.
PS, was the drivers name James-------
Bond?????

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
In 09' ,I had the upper portion of my Harwood fiberglass hood rattle a few seconds & fly straight up in the air going down I-95 one morning to a side job. Separated from lower section. It landed sideways on the concrete dividers between 6 lanes of traffic.:wow: As you've noticed, I,ve nicely rebuilt it with a few new sections & lower assembly, no more cheap peanut butter glue.
PS, was the drivers name James-------
Bond?????
Yeh hood launches can get your blood flowing. Me and my 71 Challenger were going down a local parkway just after I put a glass hood on the car when the hood decided to fly like a kite. I looked straight up and there it was ( the top was down) and all I could do was stand on the go pedal so it wouldn't land on my head. It landed on the pavement just behind the car.
Ang.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Never really wondered that, glad everything worked out, only $20 and a couple hrs later. :beer::texas:
I want to look you up next time through.
What do you think about Super Chevy Sept 28-30 in Baytown? Or even sooner?
:texas::beer:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never really wondered that, glad everything worked out, only $20 and a couple hrs later. :beer::texas:
I want to look you up next time through.
What do you think about Super Chevy Sept 28-30 in Baytown? Or even sooner?
:texas::beer:
Super chevy sounds like a good time. Kinda depends on work tho. I've been doing 6 - 10's and there's , thankfully, no end in sight. If I can take off, we can get together. Maybe see if fixitman ans Mrs Fixitman can make it. There are a number of elky owners in Houston so I'm sure we could make a good showing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts