El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently picked up my 84 elko. It's got a 4bbl 350/350 with dual flowmasters and such. And to get it for $5000 i was really happy. But it does have its kinks, the gauges don't work, except the fuel gauge, wiring is not organized at all, drivers side exhaust is loose (which is my guess for the source of a tapping/ticking sound when i accelerate). Also, the rims/tires seem to be too big for turning and taking bumps (they are supposedly corvette rims) and air bags might have a leak or bad valve, and i need window seals too!

Other than that it's perfect cosmetically, but as you can see, i have a laundry list of problems, soo... where do i start? :dontknow: i will try to upload pics later on. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
402 Posts
G

·
Welcome to the forum! Glade to see anther El Camino fetting fixed up. More me save the more will be on the road.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
It looks quite spiffy! As with most purchases, it will take some sorting out time. That is the part when you really get to know the car.......and whether the previous owner drank a lot. LOL. I really am liking your paint, too. Very nice color! The engine compartment doesn't look torn up and the interior is a nice condition. Have fun and post photos.
Craig (first use of spiffy on a forum in years)

·
Registered
402 Posts
The car looks nice... But for 5000 you could have got something in very good condition.. But anyway i would start where you feel is most important.. I would get the air bags taken care of so you can turn ok.. The get the gauges taken care of as well... Good luck with everything

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,799 Posts
Nice Elky! Sounds like a fairly short list of things to fix. It's good that it has a 350 in it, and it looks clean, too. Your wheels look like Camaro wheels. And speaking of wheels, that is probably not an original Elky steering wheel. Looks like something out of a Pontiac.

:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Start with the safety items first! (incl exhaust leaks)
Years ago, a friend bought a 69 camaro, and asked what he should do to it first to make it a hot rod. I told him to redo all the brakes first. When he asked why, I told him what I was told when I had asked that question yrs before...."If you don't have good brakes, you only get to go fast once!"

:dontknow:

G

·
Nice Elky! Sounds like a fairly short list of things to fix. It's good that it has a 350 in it, and it looks clean, too. Your wheels look like Camaro wheels. And speaking of wheels, that is probably not an original Elky steering wheel. Looks like something out of a Pontiac.

I thought that same thing....my first car was a Pontiac Grand Prix and it's wheel was similar.

But I also agree with earlier posts. for 5k an Elky could have been gotten with 0 issues. I found them in tip top shape here in FL for $5k. But it does look good dude....Have fun...I have an 84 Also, and I love it....looks way worse then your but purrrrrrrrssss like a kitten......I picked it up for $1,000...

·
Past National Director
7,018 Posts
Great Buy!

Don't listen to those naysayers! You got a great buy if you're satisfied it's a great buy! It's a poor buy only if YOU think it's a poor buy! Personally, it looks like a pretty good foundation to me (although I really can't see the frame, the body looks straight and the interior looks clean) - you sure have something to start with, and that's more than some of us started with. I wish you the best of luck as you work toward making your cruck all that YOU want it to be!............Ken :beer:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for no responses, haven't been on for a while.
And speaking of wheels, that is probably not an original Elky steering wheel. Looks like something out of a Pontiac.

Yes, that is a pontiac wheel! But it's doable for now, just need to find a place to start and go from there. I'm trying to decide between gauges or new rims. The rims might be the biggest problem except for the loose exhaust, the front suspension has been rebuilt and it seems that whenever i turn the upper control arm rubs the inside lip of the rim. Even when the wheels are straight is only has about a centimeter of clearance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good found :yell:
would love to see more pictures of it in the future :poke:
and a little work to do on it is just good :yell: you will learn alot about the car, and apresiate it alot more in the future :texas:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.