El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North Carolina is exploring new fees for hybrid and electric car owners to help offset the decrease in revenue because they are collecting less gasoline taxes.

While I'm all for everyone paying their fair share to maintain our transportation infrastructure, how long has the government been subsidising the purchase of these types of vehicles so people will purchase them in order to reduce our consumption of gasoline? What did they think would happen to their gasoline tax revenue if everyone started buying electric cars?

The stupidity of our politicians boggles the mind.

Click here to see the full article.

Copper

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't own a hybrid or an electric, but the company I work for has many. Although I drive a lot of miles in a year, I think the miles driven tax would be the most fair. My wife's car achieves 33 - 34 MPG which is better than many hybrids out there, but since it is a standard gasoline engine, won't be subject to any of these new taxes.

-Jarod

·
Registered
758 Posts
Oil companies pay a lot in taxes even after there subs.

Bottom line is they want money no matter what you do...is breathing free still?

Id say leave them alone there willing to overpay for a complex car to save money at the pump only to have to replace their batties which is not cheaper in the long run...and very toxic...green? Naw

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Yeah, they want to tax hybrids, while the Federal govt is giving subsidies to oil companies....nothing has changed, it's always been this way...:screwy:

I think down here they want to take the carpool lane that was given to the hybrids with only one person in the car and start charging them. That's like back in the day you bought a house as an investment and you could write off the interest then sell and upgrade. Well they have taken that away also the bottom line after taxes it does not pay off enough in the long hall if you look at how much interest you pay on a 30yr loan and if you sell then you get hit with capital gains if you don't know the system you have to upgrade not down grade because all the kids are gone..:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
They have carpool lanes in cali just for hybrids? Seriously?

You only need one person driving to use it they have special stickers but two in any car can use it at anytime but it's the same traffic jam in that lane too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts