El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting ECC, I have been told I have been told I have a exhaust manifold leak. I have visited my local salvage yard and notice i have atleast three to choose from. will it be smart to take a chance or just purchase new and if so from where?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd buy a used one. It's not real common problem to have one go bad (casting flaw or long term leak causing cast to erode),so get a used one and run a smooth file over the mating surfaces,also look closely at the leak area,assuming the leak was between the head and manifold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep reading i will have a hard time removing the old manifold. what tips do you have for removing them? (any lubricant or order in which i should try to tackle the bolts)

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
soak all the bols with PB BLASTER penetrating oil, this stuff makes wd 40 look like water. hope this helps, woody out.:texas:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Just curious ~~~ are you sure it's a "BAD" Manifold?
And not just a BAD Gasket.
hummm - that would be to easy and cheaper too, probably a Manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Salvage yard is your best bet as repros from the aftermarket suppliers are Waaaaaaaaay overpriced like $300 per side.

The bolts will be the hardest part and worth extra effort to get out in one piece if for nothing else to save the work of extracting a broken bolt.
:nanawrench:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I visited a boneyard to day and saw headers on a 78 malibu and was very tempted. I was really looking for a bolt on deal. If I opt for the headers, what should i expect (exhaust wise) to get up and running? Will i have to totally alter my exhaust system. I still have stock exhaust wit cat, but i am also in alabama where there are no smog laws.

Knowledge is power and i need power.

Thanks in advance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts