Discussion Starter #1

·
Senior Member Participating Member
831 Posts
I have one installed. I like the fact it ties the frame rails together.:yell:

·
Registered
193 Posts
They make a huge difference on the front end stiffness.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have installed a factory GP bar and Jounce bars from a Gran Prix on my 87 Elky. i also installed the f41 sway bay from the same car. I've been gatting some clankng noises lately when i hit a bump or turn a corner. Yesterday, i crawled under the car to look at the bushings. They all looked fine but i noticed bare, shiney metal where the sway bar has been hitting the jounce bars. all of the bolts were tight and the sway bar bushings are nice and snug. Looks like i need to install some shims at both attachment poits for the jounce bars. anyone else have this problem?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
So far I only have the jounce bars installed. I do have the GP bar but the bolts were too short to mount it in the same holes as the jounce bars. I have the F 41 sway bar too but again haven't installed that either.
How are yours mounted? First the jounce bars and then the GP bar? I'm wondering if you changed which is on top if it would help the clearance issue?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also want to ask this question. I have factory jounce bars. The ones I just got from Mattyman with my f41 sway bar and grand prix bar are slightly larger and also have a bit of an angle in them and my stock ones are flat. when I put the grand prix bar on should it go inbetween the frame and jounce bars or lower than the jounce bars? Also any washers that should be there? Also, my stock small sway bar is being replaced by the 1 1/4 f41 sway bar. Is this the bushing set I should be using? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-5172R/ ALso should I be replacing the end links? I have never really messed with suspension before.

Thanks,
Jerry

So far I only have the jounce bars installed. I do have the GP bar but the bolts were too short to mount it in the same holes as the jounce bars. I have the F 41 sway bar too but again haven't installed that either.
How are yours mounted? First the jounce bars and then the GP bar? I'm wondering if you changed which is on top if it would help the clearance issue?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The bolts for the Jounce bars aren't too short to mount the GP bar, in order to run the GP bar and the Jounce bars at the same time you need to turn the GP bar around, bolts right up

·
Registered
365 Posts
Heres mine, i have the gp bar below the jounce. Gp bar is soft enough that the mounting tabs conform to fit on top of the jounce bars when you tighten the bolts. No issues with rubbing but it rarely get driven. You can also add washers to separate them if you feel the need.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I like that SC&C bar.Looks quality,not a bad price either.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,776 Posts
They are around $10-20 at the upullits !! That's where I got my 2 from !

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I like that SC&C bar.Looks quality,not a bad price either.
In Mark Savitske's book (pg. 113) he states his SC&C HD Chassis brace will only fit if the weight of the vehicle is on the wheels at the time of install (because the G-body frame is so flexible!)... His HD brace sounds good to me!

Doug

I've also read that the SC&C HD brace helps to control some of the flexibility caused by the 12.7:1 steering box too. Anybody know if this is true?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Install it with the tires on the ramps instead of the frame on the stands,I guess.I thought the EC frame had a bit of flex to it,just from jacking it up with the floor jack.Always seemed to need more adjustment to level than some others I've lifted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts