El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this site regarding build performance into a 305. The guy own's a firebird, but the engine is a chevy that he is talking about.

http://www.newcovenant.com/Speedcrafter/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=7

Thought it was very detailed, and gives a good step by step analysis of what you can do for your engine. Looks like the same basic concepts would apply for a 350 as well.

Anybody done much of this on a 305? I know everybody says to just put in a 350, but if your not looking for a real Dragster- just good solid performance on the street, is it worth it? ( That should get the discussion going!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is no substitute for cubic inchs.

Went from 305 to sb 400 in camero.Tha gas milage is about the same.
Can't even tell when the ac cycles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree..There is no substitute for cubes. The money you spend on mods to the 305 will end up costing more than a basic solid running 350. To get that must horse power you have to deal with a few different things other than the engine..ie transmissions, torque converters rear end gears..There is a lot more to it than one thinks..to run a 305 with that much horse power, to me is just not practical. IM not knocking 305s they are good for what they are...But asking for that ;much horsepower out of one is a tall order..

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm confused, they're the same motors, just different bore and stroke (and no you can't turn a 305 into a 350). How could it cost more to build the 305? But then again why would you want to build a high performance 305, when you could build a 350 for about the same money (with the exception of buying a used 4 bolt main block)? The 4 bolt main block will rev higher than the 305 before the bottom falls out on the pavement. No, there is no substitute for cubic inches...and cubic inches create horsepower and horsepower creates torque. Gimme a 350 over a 305 with the same mods and I'll whup ur A$$ everytime. Better yet I'll bump that 350 up to a 383 and beat ya like yo' a red headed stepchild! :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is a common misconception. Someone tried to sell me a 305 and tell me its the same as a 350. The 305 and the 350 are different..theres is more to it than just the bore and stroke..They are different engines..Looking at them side by side they may look the same but they are birds of a different feather..The amount of machine work and internal preparation for a 305 would be extremely costly. Everyone fails to mention internal modifications when they talk about build ups like this. The 305 internal parts are weaker than the 350s. You can only bore a 305 out to be a 315 and when you do that you run the risk the block cracking, along with other problems. 305 to 315.. 350 to 383. Thats a hell of a difference if you ask me. That sure doesnt seem like the same engine to me. :D .

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have always thought that a small block was a small block. a 265 became a 283, a 283 became a 302,and a 327, and a 302 became a 305, and 327 became a 350. If it is a chevy small block then its parts are interchangable. 305 can only be bored over to a 315 but change its stroke and its crank and it can become a 350. Or am I totally off on the deep end?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
There are some differences. Generally most of the 350 stuff will fit a 305, why would you do that is a question that comes to mind here. 305 has the dipstick on the wrong side, depending on the year block used. But I am of the Bore and stroke crowed when it comes to big differences.

I think the 305 is a work engine. It is stout and hardy but needs a lot to really perform well. It is, to me, a lot like a 283 was to the 327 engines. While the 327 can and will really turn up the notch on performance the 283 was a stroker and would really work at high RPMs but was missing some when compared to a 327. Same with the 305 / 350 arguments.

There is nothing wrong with a 305. It is a good engine and can be made to have respectable horse power. Easy is 300 Horses, after that you really have to work at it. So, 300 ponies is not a shabby power plant. For the same money into a 350, could possibly yield you 350 or even 375 horses. In other words buy the exact same set of heads, intake, Cam and headers for a 305 (262 to 400 SBC) and after you've dyno'ed it then swap that stuff to a 350 and dyno that and you'll always have more horses from the 350 over the smaller 305.

Doesn't mean both don't have their places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts