El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my most important post I have made here.

Let’s see if I can put together the words to describe what an honor it is to be able to have among us a person that just might change the automotive world in GM! 8O Pretty big statement I know.

I have been waiting to see if anyone else would start a topic about this most talented young man among us. I was so shocked that he was a club member on our site I had to get my thoughts together first.

I am talking about Kris Horton.

Kris Horton’s rendering of a new retro Camaro in Popular Hot Rodding this last September 2003 issue has raised eyebrows across this country and most important at GM. As a graphic artist I was blown away at his talent! Kris is only 19 years old! If you don’t already have it PLEASE pick up a copy of this month issue of Popular Hot Rodding magazine. There is a “New” improved rendering of his work.

Let me just post what was written in the new issue about Kris from just a few of the e-mail sent in from across the country:

“I hope there are more Kris’s out there and they take over GM design…”

“I think this is exactly what GM needs to build. It’s perfect in everyway.”

“Imagine if there were more designers like him working for Chevy. Give this man a paycheck and raise the bar.”

“Build it and I will buy!”

“If that Camaro was real, I would have one in my driveway. That kid has some awesome talent.”

“This thing crushes the new Mustang coming out!”

“I just can’t fathom why a 19-year-old can for see what the future of the F-body should be, but the GM execs can’t grasp this…”

Kris, I’m honored to talk about you here! Glad you’re a part of our forum. You must get a ton of requests to do other stuff. Yes, It would be cool to see a new retro ’70 style El Camino or maybe a request from me to re-do the fastest car in the 80’s the Buick Grand National.

I won’t. I respect your time too much. Keep working hard on the Camaro. We need that first! I only can hope I find your design of your Camaro sitting in my garage soon next to my son’s 2000 Camaro SS. If so I want to be able to drive it to where you live so you can shake your hand and have you sign your name on the glove box for me!

My quote: Wake up GM if you don’t sign this kid Ford or Mopar will!

Kris you were the talk at our dinner table last night…I hope you’re the talk among our forum!

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup: Your Dad must be one proud guy! I would! :)

Dave (70ELCO)

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Yep Kris created quite a stir on the Camaro boards I belong to when the first pictures came out. Many thought they were from GM.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. 8)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow!

Wow, thank you Dave! I'm quite honored that I have been able to raise so many eyebrows and restore some hope to those who might have lost faith in GM (such as myself.) I think the reason my design hit the mark with so many enthusiasts is that it was designed by one. I didn't do it to meet a company's need for a pony car or to raise sales. I did it for myself, and I did it for the car enthusiasts out there that want to see GM bring back its muscle and once again rule the streets. I can only hope that GM sees me as a potential asset and doesn't write me off as some kid that is a Design Center hopeful. While I don't think that GM would ever build my design (thanks to the beancounters and all the fun stuff the car would have to go through before being built,) I would love to see it built by a custom shop. That would be awesome to be able to drive my own design. I probably wouldn't own it though...I wouldn't be able to pay to have it built. :oops:
Someday, maybe... :cool:

I actually have yet to see the magazine, but I can't wait! Thank you all for your support, it means the world to me!

Kris Horton

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Great job, Kris! Maybe Boyd Coddington will pick up on the design. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can only hope they build that car. I've told this to Kris and I'll say it here. If that car gets built,it would be as big(if not bigger)hit than the Bettle. I have a pic. of it hanging by my counter at work,and every person who comes in(I mean EVERYBODY from soccer moms to gearheads from grandpa's to salesman)loves that design and want to know when it's going to be on the showroom floor. If GM doesn't sign him,it would be the biggest mistake GM would make since letting DeLorean leave Pontiac.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Hey Kris, post a picture of it here!

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link...Maybe someone can post the newer rendering of the Green Camaro that appears in the newest issue of PHR. I love the new hide-away headlights as well as the newer rear treatment. Keep in mind even though these pictures look so real this is all done with a mouse! So Cool!

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Truly beautiful renderings. I even had a flash of a '70 Cuda in one of the angles. I saw lots of resemblance to my '69 RS/SS 396 Camaro.

Really excellent job, Kris. Hope you get to the school you desire.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Can we arrange to have Chris be on the committee to select the cars for the upcoming Elky calendar? Let's do all we can to encourage him and showcase his talents. Does anyone have the name and address of the design folks (using the term loosely!) at GM, so we can drop them a note about what we hope to see come out of the factory in the future??

Way to go Kris!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I looked at the car in several postings on different boards also. I really like the concept.

Will the '69 ever become a reallity? Maybe.................

The car as a production model is probably a slim possibility, if for no other reason than because we all want one. Am I being negative ? NO.

The most likely possibility I see is a conversion of a C-5 Corvette coupe by adding the front and rear clips and making the car we see in the photoshop pictures appear in real life. The running gear is there and the only thing to produce is the front and rear exterior sections. This would be much like the '53 conversion already available for the C-5 Corvette chassis. It was when I looked at the stance of the cockpit and the door that I related this to the obvious, a C-5 Corvette Z-06.

This could become a reality real easy. Jim

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Sure can, he would be welcome to help select the vehicles for the calendar!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is a really magnificent piece of work. You will go far I'm sure with your talent.

Kris, was there another picture that I saw on Pro-Touring.com that was a RS version of the '69 with the hide away headlights? That was the one that I really liked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That rendering was from when I first started with PHR. I did away with the slotted covers because to me they kinda got in the way and unfortuantely I had a hard time making them fit and work. Thanks for the kind words!
-Kris

·
Registered
37 Posts
wow, what a great piece of work, if it never becomes a real car i would love to even own a poster of one and hang it up in my room. what about a 6th gen concept camino.... ssr just dont cut it for me

·
Registered
119 Posts
That rendering was from when I first started with PHR. I did away with the slotted covers because to me they kinda got in the way and unfortuantely I had a hard time making them fit and work.

I'd still like to see it again. (Please)That was the best one to me.

Thanks for the kind words!

The words were not for kindness, they were for achievment. You have really done a great job on this project. It takes someone special to express themselves so well and make it what it really is, a work of art.

I still think as a last resort to make the vision become a reality a conversion for a C-5 Corvette would be a big seller. Yeah, I'd buy one! especially the RS version. Jim

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the new green RS version as my desktop background, love the hide-a-way treatment....Way Cool!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anyone have the name and address of the design folks (using the term loosely!) at GM
As I've told Kris,I passed the pics. onto a person I know at GM who had a meeting with the top guy who's in charge of the entire parts division with the stipulation that he passes it onto someone at design or even Bob Lutz. That was some months ago. I haven't heard of the result. The cars been all over the web and it's created quite a buzz. People at GM have got to know about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts