El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1970 El Camino last week. Driving it around the neighborhood, I'm hearing a strange grinding noise coming from within the dashboard. The sound seems to be located near the speedo/tach area or perhaps a bit further to the left. Both gauges appear to be functioning correctly. The heater fan is not running. It sounds like more like a plastic grinding than metallic. The grinding comes and goes; I don't believe it is speed related. This is my first experience with a grinding dashboard. Anybody have an idea as to what this might be?

TIA

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Ditto, red. Welcome and this could be speedo cable noise. You could disconnect the housing at the trans., then pull the inner cable out. Drive it and see if the noise is gone. If so, lubricate the cable and reinstall. See if that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Don't pull the inner cable out from the bottom! It comes out of the housing from the top. Jim how much :beer: have you had today?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Just enough, Your right Neil. It would be easier to take it loose at the trans to see if the noise goes away. If so, pull the dash pad and then disconnect the housing at the speedo. Pull the cable and lube. Good thing you are watching me!

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
X Whatever on the speedo cable being the culprit.
The key to happiness is to not use any lube that is
heavy like wheel bearing grease. When cold weather
hits....your speedometer will jump like jumping bean.
Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.