El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hopefully you only need to shim it and not replace the flywheel or the starter.

Gotta jack that thing up and get under there. Remove the torque converter cover if it has one and inspect the teeth on the flyhweel. You should be able to tell what is going on when you inspect the teeth. Maybe its not getting full engagement, maybe the flywheel is missing teeth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

But this is the third starter I have put in it.

I have also had the local rebuild shop test it and found it was one of the strong original starters I have in it now. It's teeth are good and the solenoid is getting it all the way out on the bench.

It was doing this when I got it. I put a new one in it and it continued. I added some shims and it helped for a while. I pulled the tranny and made sure I had a good flex plate with good teeth and it was on the correct way around.

I am just at a loss here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you shimmed it and it fix the problem for awhile then something changed?

It sounds like the teeth are good on your flywheel and starter, that's good. I would try shimming it again and see what happens.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
How long did id take to start grinding after the last replacement? Was it shimmed at the last install?

btw... you boys coming out to Pismo for the Region 18 gathering? :poke:

G

·
Try adding one more shim. I put 3 instead of 2 and it made a heck of a difference on my mini starter. One thing that may help is use a piece of tape to hold the shims in place when u install so you won't have to fight falling shims and falling bolts at the same time.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Where are you getting your starters??
Make sure you use a quality replacement starter, avoid autozone and pepboys for sure imho. I have run the same ac delco starter for 7 yrs and no issues.:texas:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.