1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1979 305- 350 auto.
Can
C716EAB3-EC47-4B72-AC4D-D6D7B5863AB7.jpeg
anybody tell me where this ground attaches. It comes from the firewall and appears not to have been hooked up for awhile.Found it while on the lift Saturday.
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
560 Posts
On my 350, that ground is for the heater core where the hoses exit.
IMG_0865.JPG
post #2

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Recollection tells me that there is "V" shaped bracket that goes between the two hoses at the heater core, and the ground goes on the attaching screw...

·
Registered
366 Posts
The "v" bracket mentioned is inside the heater airbox, it keeps the heater core steady and vibration free. Don't know if the coolant flow causes an electrical charge or something, but the heaters seem to suffer from electrolysis for some reason, that ground strap discharges it.
You must remove the airbox cover to reach the bracket. You will probably need a 1/4 and/or a 9/32 socket or nutdriver.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks like a homemade ground wire and not a good one. I'd run a good ground wire to a valve cover bolt on both sides of the engine if I were you. You can't over ground.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Not a home made strap. X2 Heater core ground as stated above.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s a pretty good strap. Braided like the others up there. Looks to be connected to the firewall since built. There is another one to the right to the motor. I thought it was a hood ground for the light.
Tom

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hat Trick, 5spd and others are correct that that ground strap is an OEM item. It is necessary to ground and discharge any electrolysis charges that may build up within the heater core AND will require removal of the AC/Heater cover to reattach.

Go to minute 4 of the video above and you'll see what we're referring to. Also, I suggest looking at other applicable videos related to removal of the cover and where exactly to reconnect the ground strap.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Looks like the valve cover bolt ground, this wire will help to ground the motor. The last time I did a heater core the ground wire was smaller and clipped on to the heater core like someone stated to help with electrosis causing corrosion. Matty man

·
Senior Member Participating Member
838 Posts
X2 😮

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Looks like the valve cover bolt ground, this wire will help to ground the motor. The last time I did a heater core the ground wire was smaller and clipped on to the heater core like someone stated to help with electrolysis causing corrosion. Matty man
After looking at the picture the valve cover ground is to the right of the wire in question, I just thought the heater core ground wire was a clip and did not screw on. Heater core wire it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts