El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got power windows that haven't worked for two years. My buddy knows a lot more about cars than I do, and he was able to rewire the driver side and get it to work, but the passenger side drove him so crazy trying to fix that he threw his hands up and gave up. I've been taking the thing to shops for two years and every time, it sits there for two weeks before I go pick it up and bring it up exactly the way I dropped it off.

Then I was talking about it to an old guy at the bar and he said, "Those cars are notorious for grounding issues. If they tried repinning it and nothing worked, it's probably a bad ground."

So I've got windshield wipers that work intermittently then quit after 10 minutes, headlights that flicker, and a passenger window that stays up at all times, includng yesterday when it was 88 degrees with 95 percent humidity.

If this is as simple as replacing a ground wire, I should be able to do that myself. Do those issues sound like they trace back to a specific ground to anyone? And can anyone give me any advice on this?

Thanks a lot. I can't take another summer in this rolling sauna, Lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds a lot like how mine was before a put a new wiring harness in it, mine had flickering headlights, not great wipers, and a radio that would cut out on occasion. You can try cleaning all of the ground points with sandpaper, maybe add a ground strap or two around the car. Check the ground wires themselves on the off chance they have an internal break in them too as well as inspecting the ground terminal on the battery. Honestly you may just want to put a harness in it though.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Definitely sounds like ground issues to me too. Check the negative battery cable - there should be a ground wire coming off it to the fender well. Another from the back of the drivers side head to the firewall. Just above the parking brake pedal is another critical one that grounds the dash, doors and wiper switch. Wiper switch makes ground to turn on the wipers. Flickering headlights is more than likely a bad ground for the core support.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
If you're looking for window motor issues look in the accordion harness cover between door and jamb. Adding to what Squag27 says about ground wires and internal breaks, that area is a constant mover with the doors opening and closing an untold number of times over the years.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can fix a lot of electrical problems on old cars by just cleaning all your ground connections to bare metal and applying conductive (not Dielectric) grease to the bare bare metal before you reconnect the ground. It works good on all other electrical connections and battery cables too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also closely check where the wires attach to the clips in each of the connectors. I bought new switches for both sides, only to find that a wire on the driver's side was not making good contact and eventually separated from the clip. It appears with all the movement and bending, the wire broke off at the clip. For me, the solution was to carefully open up the compressed end and solder the wire to the clip. Windows work fine now! Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I didn't see them until just now. I'm going to check out all the grounds and clean and reconnect them. That sounds like it's within my pay grade, I'll let you all know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts